Chapter 8-Loki

Chapter 8

Loki's POV

"What was that? Are you okay?"

I stared at the door I had run through moments ago. On the other side was Eren, to whom I had just shown more than I ever wished.

She had looked terrified. I knew it was because of me. I had shown her too much; I should have told her instead of showing her.

But here she was, asking me if I was okay. Had she thought it hurt me?

I stumbled back against the wall and brought my hand up to where hers had been. It had been so hot; I thought it was going to burn me. She had been very brave, but also stupid. I could've done anything to her.

I could have hurt her. If she came any closer to my icy skin, she could have died. If I had hurt her...

"Loki," she said again. I shivered. I didn't usually get cold, but hearing her say my name... "Loki, open the door. Please."

I stared at the door. If I opened the door, there were two possibilities: she may shout at me and do everything I would expect her to do, or she may stand there and just stare at me, which would be equally as intolerable.

Slowly I walked toward the door and turned the knob. She stared up at me in surprise; obviously she hadn't been expecting me to open it. Silently she stepped inside, and I closed it back, maintaining eye contact and getting some distance. 

Eren stared at me for a while, her face somewhere between concern and curiosity. "Loki," she finally said, "what was that? I've never seen you do that before."

"Odin pulled me from a rock on Jotenheim and brought me here. I am Lauefey's son, not Odin's." I didn't look at her as I spoke; it would be better not to see her revolted expression. It was the only time I looked away, because as I looked back up, she was much closer to me than I would like.

"Do it again." I stepped back in shock. Her request was very simple, very straightforward. "If it doesn't hurt."

"Why would it hurt?" I asked.

She shrugged. "It looked like it hurt you when you did it before."

It seemed my only option to do as she asked. I took a few steps back, to make sure there was an adequate distance between us, and didn't close my eyes this time. I watched her eyes flicker over me, somewhere between confusion and awe. She lifted her hand again and I moved away from her.

"Don't," I warned. "I'm cold."

"I've learned how to protect myself against that. Just tell me if it hurts you."

She came closer to me; I barely refrained from backing away. Why wasn't she revolted by this? I was a monster. She laid her hand on my cheek and a strange heat spread from where her fingers touched me. I closed my eyes, not to be focused against pain, but because it was an extremely welcomed feeling.

You're a monster. Get away before you hurt her.

I stepped back and she grabbed her hand to her chest. "Sorry! Did I hurt you?"

I shook my head. "No. You didn't do anything." She was too close. At this distance it would be too easy to do something to her.

"Right. I'll give you some space." She backed up. "Thank you for showing me this, Loki. I definitely understand more now."

And she was gone. I sank down onto my bed and covered my face with my hands. That was too close. She was too close.

I almost hurt her. Why did I let her touch me? She was lucky to still be alive. I'd seen Frost Giants kill people by touching their hands. I couldn't hurt her.

I couldn't be more stupid. And neither could she.