Chapter 19-Forgiveness and Plans

Chapter 19

I found Sif just where she said she'd be, expecting her to be prepared for training.

But she wasn't.

Before I had even the chance to say hello, she grasped my hands in her own. "I have heard from Thor how desperate Loki was to have you found, and I apologize for thinking that he did not care for you. It was my mistake, and I hope you forgive me."

I paused. I hadn't expected this. "Yes, of course. What did Thor tell you?"

"Everything that was true. That Loki was maddened by your disappearance, and that he risked his life to see your safe return."

I said coldly, "So you are in agreement that Loki is not a monster, but a man just the same as Thor or Fandral?"

"I am." She took a deep breath. "Lady Eren, you are much better a person than I, and it took me too long to realize it. I fear my pride had as much to do with it as my aversion to the wars Loki began."

Pulling her in for a hug, I laughed. "Quit apologizing. You're forgiven." I wasn't a better person, just different. She was better at battle, I was better at listening.

Later that day I was lighting my fingers on fire in front of Loki's cell.

"People can have changes of heart like that," he said. "Not I, but some." Like he didn't have changes of heart. Please. I rolled my eyes.

"It was just so weird."

Suddenly my pointer finger fire leaped to the ceiling, and I leaped back, cursing. Loki laughed as I smacked my head against the wall.

"Stop laughing!" My cheeks burned, and he didn't listen.

"Oh, sweetheart, that was too funny not to laugh at," he said when he had calmed down. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Like you have utter and complete control over yourself?"

"Of course I do. To be fair though, I've had my powers many more years than you have, and have practiced much more often."

I sent a spark through the wall to his cheek. "Oops," I claimed when his hand slapped up.

"You should be glad of this wall between us," he said, mock glaring at me. At least I was pretty sure it was mock, but I wasn't going to back down and let him think he fooled me.

"Why? So you can freeze me? Been there, done that. My fire's more powerful than ice."

He quirked a brow and glanced at my shoulder. "Really?"

"Yes, really." I pulled the sleeve from one shoulder and saw that my skin was unmarked. Loki was shocked. I laughed. "Not often that I can surprise you."

"It hardly ever happens, true."

I looked around and hardened my face. "I'm tired of looking at you behind these bars. Figuratively."

He smiled. "So what do you suggest? Because Thor can break me out, but it would hardly be so simple for someone not of the royal family."

I stood up. "I'll figure something out. Until then, don't cause a racket. We don't need the guards looking in on you more often."

Loki smiled mischievously, which didn't help my faith, so I shook my finger at him. "I mean it, Loki. No games."

"As this is mutiny, I would hardly like to draw attention to you. Who else would visit me here?"

I smiled. "Good. I'll see you soon."

Turning to leave, I heard him call me back and turned on my heel (and almost tripped). "If I do not see you tomorrow after breakfast, I'll be calling Thor to search for you." It was the best he could do to keep tabs on me, stuck in that cell.

That gave me about twenty hours to do some research on this place.

I gave him a thumbs-up and walked out, almost tripping again over my dress. Honestly, these things were nightmares to walk in.