Chapter 23-Forgive Me

Chapter 23

*Eren's POV*

"Thor isn't allowed in, so-" I sat up and looked around. I knew I was in Loki's room, but I had expected him in here with me.

"Loki?" He was gone. No one was in the room but me. And I didn't remember walking up here.

As the healers had said, I was feeling stronger now, and was able to walk without getting dizzy or falling over, so I immediately went to find Thor.

He was in the antechamber of the court, pacing.

"Eren!" he exclaimed when he saw me. "Where's Loki?"

My eyes widened. "I hoped you'd be able to tell me. Last I saw him, I fell asleep in front of his cell."

He resumed his pacing, and I almost joined him. "After you fell asleep, I came back, and he convinced me to let him out of his cell to take you to his room. I had planned to follow him, but I stayed behind to thwart any guards coming to look for him. He was supposed to come back, but he never did. My father now thinks I helped orchestrate his disappearance."

I ran my hands through my hair. It was unruly. I needed a shower. Back on track!

My mind was pulsing and my throat was sore. I couldn't breathe properly due to the stupid flu, but my worry was squishing even the little that I could breathe.

I started to cough, and Thor rushed to my aid. "I'm fine," I said.

"You aren't. That's the problem. My brother would never have left you in such a state, especially not without a note of some kind. Did he leave you anything?"

I shrugged. "I didn't look. Let's go see."

At the doorway Thor stopped. "Loki's magic prevents me from entering." Yet when Odin had tried to enter...

I nodded and began to rifle through his stuff. It didn't feel like invading to me, because I already knew everything about him. There was the book he had read to me a thousand times, the papers on world domination that had led to his attack on earth, the dissertations on Frost Giants he had written so many years ago (with Frigga's signature at the bottom, to show she had watched him write them), and scattered here and there were discarded balls of paper that I unfolded to show diagrams of the Tesseract, his staff, the palace he wanted. Nothing surprising.

Next I looked toward the bedside table. Obvious. How could I not have looked there before?

It was a short note, written on scrap paper.

Forgive me.