chapter 2

A Talk

---------

"Sofiya...?"

Sofiya couldn't believe her eyes. Right before her stood Sebastian Sallow, the Slytherin boy who accompanied countless journeys with her the previous year. The boy she helped in his quest to save his sister, no matter what he asked of her. The boy who didn't send a single letter to her this summer.

She didn't know how to feel once she laid her eyes on Sebastian. At first, she felt her heart drop at the sight of him. She was anxious to avoid him, to get as far away from him as possible. Her mind was running a million miles a minute, riddled with questions and cries and smart remarks that she just couldn't bring herself to say. Then, a feeling of anger started to well up inside her. A dark, sinking feeling of resentment overcame any buried need to properly talk to Sebastian, to become friends again. However, the hundreds of emotions that overwhelmed Sofiya were all hidden behind an expression of... Shock.

Sofiya took in Sebastian's features, watching as they turned from an expression of anger to fragility. He looked in awe, as if Sofiya was broken shards of glass strewn on the floor that shattered at his hand. It was unnerving, and the last thing she wanted to see today. He almost looked... Sad.

After moments of silence, Sebastian spoke again, "...How have you been?" He asked, his familiar smile tugging at his lips.

No... Don't you smile at me.

"Just fine," Sofiya replied flatly. She stood from the seat she had only just taken, tearing her gaze away from Sebastian to instead turn toward Ominis, "Let's catch up at a later time, Ominis. I believe this seat is taken."

Sofiya rushed to the other side of the classroom, feeling her heart pound and the sweat gather at her cold fingertips. Was that too harsh? Should she have given the boy a chance to speak further, or was she in the right? Sofiya never questioned herself when it came to her plan to avoid Sebastian. He didn't want to write to her, after all – this is what they both wanted. All she had to do was avoid seeing or speaking to him... However, now that he was in front of her, that was proving to be much easier said than done.

The Ravenclaw sat at the first desk she came across, desperately trying to ground herself and return to her senses.

"You're the hero girl from last year, are you not?"

Sofiya jumped slightly at the soft voice that piped up beside her. She must have been so out of her mind that she didn't notice the girl already taking up the other side of the bench.

As Sofiya looked over, her pale blue eyes were met with dull green ones. Her sharp eyes held a softness to them, and her olive-toned skin was dusted over by a light red blush. Lone, thin strands of ink-black hair framed her oval face, while the rest was tied tightly in a bun. She was beautiful... And yet, Sofiya didn't seem to recall her face.

"O-Oh, yes... I suppose you could put it that way!" Sofiya chuckled, a slight awkwardness lurking in her laugh, "I'm sorry, seems I failed to notice you when I sat down!"

"No worries." The girl offered Sofiya a small smile. Her arms crossed and her elbows rested on the desk, "I'm Octavia... Cauldwell." She finished.

"It's a pleasure. I'm-"

"Sofiya Laurier, correct? Your name traveled quickly around the castle last year." Octavia cut in, her gaze staring deeply into Sofiya. It was a bit... Unsettling?

"Ah..." Sofiya nodded. It did make sense. While Sofiya didn't care much – or really at all – for her reputation or popularity, it was only logical for people to know her name after everything she's done. "Have we met before? I apologize, but you don't look familiar..."