chapter 6

But Who's the Fastest?

---------

"At last, a free period! As much as I do enjoy Professor Garlick and her class, I would much rather be in Charms instead." Natty spoke quietly beside Sofiya, making her giggle at her words.

"I couldn't agree more – thank Merlin we have Professor Garlick, and not someone like Professor Binns..."

As the two girls exited the greenhouses, they blended in with the other students traveling the halls to get to their next class. Some traded places with them for Herbology, and some followed them to the courtyard to spend their free period. Sofiya never grew tired of walking the halls in Hogwarts, although it might have been because she hasn't quite gotten used to it yet. Either way, it was just all so magical, the way the portraits on the walls moved and textbooks floated around some students.

Yet despite all the magic and wonder, Sofiya couldn't help but feel a bit down this morning. She thought maybe a fulfilling breakfast would help, or a busy class like Herbology, yet she found an anxious feeling looming over her since yesterday evening.

After her talk with Ominis, Sofiya didn't know what to think. She felt as though she was supposed to feel some closure since Sebastian ignored Ominis this summer as well; however, she was still angry with him since he didn't write to either of his closest friends. Perhaps she was the only one who thought of them as close.

"...Sofiya? Are you alright?"

Natty's gentle voice pulled Sofiya out of her thoughts, and as Sofiya looked back up at her she was met with a face of mild concern. If she was talking, Sofiya must have completely missed it.

"Oh- Yes- Sorry, Natty." Sofiya shook her head, putting on a small smile for the other girl.

"Is everything alright? I noticed you have been a bit distracted this morning."

Sofiya pursed her lips together for a moment. Natty always seemed to have an eye for these things, when things were wrong. It made it difficult for Sofiya to keep this already private situation under wraps – and although she had shared all the details with Natty before, she has yet to tell her about her conversation with Ominis. She has yet to tell anyone, for that matter.

But Natty was trustworthy, Sofiya could tell her anything.

"Well, I've been meaning to tell you-"

"Sofiya! Natty! There you two are!"

Before Sofiya could get another word out, a shouting voice came from behind them. As they turned around, there came Samantha Dale, running toward them with a wide smile on her face.

"Samantha? Where are you running off to?" Natty raised a brow at the Ravenclaw.

"Outside, in the courtyard!" The girl exclaimed as she gasped for air, pointing toward the gate beyond them.

"Garreth and Callum are having a race!"

---------

The three girls rushed out into the school courtyard and were met with a large crowd of students, majorly filled with other Quidditch players. In front of them, however, stood Garreth and Callum, brooms in hand. They faced each other with furrowed brows and pouting lips, it seemed as though they were arguing. As Sofiya came closer, pushing her way through the crowd to hear them better, their words became clearer.