chapter 5

Meet Me In the Undercroft

---------

"I believe that is quite enough for one day. I will say quite satisfactory work today, students. Class dismissed."

As Professor Sharp dismissed the class, everyone began gathering their things and lightly cleaning up their stations before heading out of the class. Sofiya, however, had to take a few extra moments to put away some ingredients she had gathered from the nearby shelves. Professor Sharp often encouraged the class to bring in their own ingredients from Herbology or elsewhere, which Sofiya was typically able to do thanks to the Room of Requirement last year. Though so far, she hasn't been able to head there yet today. Perhaps she would now, given it was the last class of the school day.

Sofiya shuffled past the exiting students, making her way to one of the far shelves to put some Ashwinder eggs and Fwooper feathers back in their place. She hummed quietly to herself, but as the students filtered out of the room, she began to quiet herself. Eventually, the only ones left in the room were Professor Sharp and herself.

"How have you been this past summer, Sofiya?" The man asked, making Sofiya look back over her shoulder for a moment. Although she had spent all class with him, Sofiya suddenly noticed that Professor Sharp looked a bit more worn than he did last year - perhaps that is the effect being an Auror has on people.

"I've been alright, professor." She smiled before facing the shelves again.

There was quiet for a few moments before the man spoke up again, "I'm aware that I'm a few months late, but if you ever need anyone to speak with about the events of last year, Sofiya, please do let me know. I can assure you I know what you've been feeling these past months."

Sofiya paused for a moment, feeling her breath hitch in her throat. This past summer, the traumatic events of her fifth year caught up with her only after it was all over. She suffered from a lot of anxiety, and a depressing and lonely feeling that swallowed her whole, some days. She had written to Professor Weasley about it; however, it was a bit embarrassing that Weasley seemed to have shared those personal moments.

Though, she knew Professor Sharp only had good intentions. As she placed down the last Ashwinder egg, she turned and faced him.

"Thank you, professor. I'll keep that in mind."

A small nod came from the professor as he stood from his desk, beginning to walk toward the exit of the classroom. It seems his limp from last year has disappeared.

"Well, you performed greatly this class, as I expected. Please close the door on your way out, will you?"

Sofiya nodded to the man as he exited the room, leaving her alone in the Potions classroom. The mischievous side of her wanted to search around a bit, perhaps for any small forgotten chests or secret potion ingredients - but Sofiya wanted to relax. It's been quite a busy day, especially for the first day of term. What sounded best right now was to retreat to the common room and cuddle up into bed, book in hand.

Though, as she passed her table, she caught a glance at a small piece of parchment laying on the wooden surface. She approached it curiously, her fingers tracing the ripped edges for a moment before picking it up and examining it further. On it, it read:

Sofiya,

If you could, please meet me in the Undercroft. I believe it's time we spoke properly.

No signature?

The words made Sofiya's mouth run dry, immediately assuming this was Sebastian trying to speak to her again. However, the writer mentions 'speaking properly' as if they haven't before. Was this someone new? It could only be between Ominis and Sebastian, the only other students who know of the Undercroft.