chapter 11

Getting the Answers She's Always Wanted

---------

After the game had ended, the Quidditch team lingered behind their curtains while all the spectators in the stands made their way back to the castle. There wasn't any privacy to change in their small waiting area, so they sadly had to remain in their somewhat sweaty uniforms. They spent some time talking, simply relaxing and letting the rest of the castle settle back inside first before they made their way in.

Sofiya was being praised by anyone and everyone who came her way, even Imelda Reyes came up and complimented her before the teams went their separate ways. Inside the curtains, the team showered her in surprised yet impressed comments about her performance.

"Roman is right, you're a natural!" A younger boy exclaimed, "Never have I seen someone take a position like Seeker so easily!"

It was a bit much, in all honesty, Sofiya wasn't one for the spotlight; however, it still made her cheeks flush and her lips turn into a beaming smile. Everyone was so welcoming and kind, even though they were all so much more experienced than her. They had so much more skill.

Perhaps that's what was disappointing her so much this evening – they had skill. Sofiya's victory wasn't based on skill, but pure luck. She was lucky Sebastian Sallow felt bad enough for her to give her the win.

It was insulting. Embarrassing. Though she was grateful for all the compliments and didn't reject them, she almost wanted to crush them and confess that she didn't earn the win, but it was handed to her. She may have made it close, but it shouldn't have been her who got to the Snitch.

As the Ravenclaw team began to shuffle out from under the bleachers, Sofiya found herself in the center of her team.

"I must have dodged the Bludger at least eight times! Seriously, I think Violet McDowell wanted to put me in the hospital wing..." Everett said. "She looked so angry, I thought she was going to strike my head right off my shoulders!"

"She had so much technique, as well! I'm surprised she won't be taking Quidditch seriously!" Another boy exclaimed.

Sofiya giggled at the surrounding chatter, watching as the boys received sour looks from a couple of Slytherin girls right up ahead. Seems their gossiping wasn't quiet enough.

"Just wait, boys! I shan't go so easy on you next time!" Violet yelled.

Laughter erupted from the Ravenclaws as Everett and the other boy seemed to shrink, both in embarrassment and fear.

As the teams entered the courtyard, Sofiya glanced forward past the crowd. She watched as the Slytherins began to disperse, though one figure caught her eye. Sebastian, who seemed to be heading toward the Black Lake.

The Ravenclaws stopped for a moment, noticing Sofiya who seemed to accidentally slow down and lag behind them.

"Is something wrong, Sofiya?" Roman asked, his voice warm with sincerity.

"No, no! Not at all!" Sofiya briskly shook her head, brewing a lie in her head, "I simply... Wanted to go seek out Professor Howin. I have some Beasts work I need to catch up on."

"Alright..." The boy hummed, one of his tan hands waving her goodbye, "Try to refrain from staying out too late!"

The girl chuckled softly, waving at the team, "I will."

The team yelled their goodbyes to Sofiya as they headed into the castle, and carefully she waited until they were completely inside. Once the last of their figures disappeared through the large metal doors, she turned and started taking slow steps toward the Black Lake.