chapter 10

The Game

---------

Saturday morning came much faster than Sofiya would have liked.

Her entire Friday was spent practicing Quidditch techniques of all kinds. The best way to speed up or slow down, what moves were and were not allowed, and many others. She spent the morning with Astoria after she rudely woke her up at the crack of dawn, and by early afternoon the rest of the team joined. By the time the day was over, Sofiya felt like she could easily coach a pro-Quidditch team with her new knowledge.

However, that didn't mean she wasn't nervous — she most definitely was, and unbearably so.

She sat at the Ravenclaw table, her hands gingerly holding her cutlery as she faced a plate full of delicious breakfast foods. No matter how hard she stared at it, though, she couldn't bring herself to take a bite.

A hand waved in her field of view, catching her attention and making her look up from her food. She looked to Everett, who — unlike herself — was stuffing his face with the breakfast provided.

"Eat up now, Sofiya! You will need energy if you want to play well!" He said, speaking through a full mouth.

She pouted, "I know that, but I'm just so nervous. I worry if I swallow anything it will just come right back up..!"

"Eugh, please don't say that while I'm eating!" The boy recoiled, but Sofiya couldn't help but laugh at him.

She gently poked her fork into her omelet and took a small bite. For some eggs, the way the flavors entangled in her mouth were so inviting. It did entice her to eat some more and find comfort in the food.

"Sofiya! Sofiya!~"

In the corner of her eye, in the direction of the yelling voice, Sofiya spotted a questionable figure running in her direction. She looked over to the source, only to see Poppy rapidly approaching, a long blue cape with a hood flowing behind her.

"Poppy? What are you wearing?" The girl raised her brows in surprise at the other's outfit.

"Why, my Ravenclaw pride, of course!" She giggled, slowly turning to properly show off all the angles of her ensemble.

On the actual surface of the cape was a beautifully sewn Ravenclaw crest, complimenting the blue with its bronze color. What made it so unique, though, was the wings on the crest popped out with an extra layer of fabric, like it was Poppy who had wings. Underneath the cape was much simpler, where Poppy wore a Ravenclaw jumper and black skirt and tights. Her shoes were blue, as well.

"Do you always put so much thought into your Quidditch outfits?" Sofiya smiled, "I have never seen a cape so intricate as yours!"

Poppy waved dismissively, "You should see how I am for my own house! As much as I don't quite understand Quidditch, I do thoroughly enjoy the festivity of it all."

"Merlin's beard, could you make me a cape like that, Poppy?" Samantha chimed in, standing from her place on the bench and leaning obnoxiously over the table.

The Hufflepuff chuckled shyly, "Well, I'm afraid it's a bit too late to start another project like this!" She spoke, earning a frown and a sigh from Samantha.

"Instead of capes, we should worry about Slytherin house running our reputation into the dirt." Astoria spoke up, angrily shoving some toast in her mouth, "One of 'em shaid to me thish morning, 'Forget about the broom and go back to your booksh, Ravenclaw.' Why, if there'sh anythin' I'm good at, it'sh remembering a face! Jusht wait until I shee him on the field–"