Chapter 19 - There is No King

It were as if I fell from the sky, and landed perfectly back in The Animated King's chamber. I watched him as he opened the rift to the real world, and that was when he noticed me. The crown he wore hovered in place as the rift opened, and there he looked at me.

"You're back, so quickly, Tom?" He asked me as I looked at him, and he looked at me. I didn't respond "Strong, and silent type. How impressive, but we all know, that this will end only one way."

I closed my eyes as I clenched my fists, and a voice could be heard in my head.

"What do you think The King is?"

"I think he's nothing. He is nothing to me. And he can't hurt me."

I opened my eyes once again as The King stood confused.

"And that was, is with me winning" I said to The King. "You think of this place as your kingdom, that nobody rules but you. You are no ruler. You are no king. You are, no God"

The King stood nervously as I continued on.

"No god would put us here. No god could be that cruel. There is no god. There is no King. There is nobody to lead us here." I said as The King grew furious and began attacking, but I still shouted

"I am not impressed. I am not intimidated, nor am I scared or frightened. Your weapon, is our fear. You are no savior. You are not hope. You are, no King!" I shouted as The King fell weak to the ground. I looked back at the crown as I slowly hovered down to the ground. I ran to it, but The King grabbed me and threw me across the room. I slowly looked up as I saw the other hiding behind cover, and I stood back up.

"I am not your puppet, and you are nothing more, than a blind king!" I shouted as The King tried to stand back up, but my words weakened him.

"No...STOP!" He shouted out, but I didn't

"You are an idiot King, whose idiocy keeps bringing him back. I am not your slave, to die in your wasteland!" I shouted as the King held back, and there he fell to the ground, letting out a soft chuckle.

"Remember, Tom. With every King, there's always a Queen..." He said as he fell to the ground, the stone statue he once was break into many pieces. The other came out of cover and stood beside me as we all looked down at the King.

"A twisted and corrupted stone statue, wielding a sword and donning a crown known simply as Machination" N said as we all looked at The King

"What?" Jeremy asked

"The books were right. This is what The King truly is. He is what we think he is. No amount of guns stop him, but only our minds" N went on.

"Fuck me, come on. We need to get away. Far away" Brice said as he lead us all out of the chamber, but that was when everything went dark

Level 3999. This was The True Ending.

"What is this place?" Clara asked as we all arrived

"Level 3999. I've seen this place in pictures before. Never in person" Will said as we all looked around

"Where's N?" I asked, as there was no sign of him.

"He's a Backrooms entity. It's only sending humans it seems" Brice replied as I walked over to the counter, and saw a list of tasks.

"Hey, come over here guys" I said, showing them the tasks.

"What if we do them all" Clara asked

"Then we go home" I replied as some of the tasks on the list got crossed out automatically

"Looks like we did some" Grey said as there were only two tasks left "Let's split up and do some"

Hours pass. I need to kill a damn King? Done. No-clip? Done. Run for hours on end? Done. Almost die over 10 times?

...

Done.

"Is that all of them?" Will asked

"Looks like it. All of them are crossed out" I replied as we all looked at the glass exit doors, and looked at each other.

"Are we really going home? Are we done?" Clara asked as Grey walked over to the doors and walked out. Brice followed behind as the rest of us began walking out the doors. It was only me and Clara left, and we both looked at each other.

"We're done, Clara. A nightmare I made, is finally over" I said

"Come on, let's go home" Clara said as she walked out the doors, and I slowly followed behind. I stopped and looked back at the level one more time, before unbuckling my utility belt and walking out. 

"Thank you, Dan" I said as I walked out.

This place, has already taken too much from me. I've been left with a husk of my former self in my possession. A dirt box that once contained gold. That's me, alright.