5

Chapter 2.1 - This Life's Previous Incarnation (1)

"Would you like to go?" Zhousheng Chen seemed to feel that this was somewhat inappropriate, and he consulted her opinion.

"No worries. It just so happens that I haven't eaten yet." Shi Yi did not mind. "But I do have a request. May I take a look around your laboratory first? It was so hard to get through all those layers of security, so it would be such a pity if I didn't at least have a look."

He Shan had actually only intended on trying his luck and had not thought that they would actually agree to his suggestion, so he straightaway volunteered himself to show her around the laboratory. Zhousheng Chen, though, pulled out a stack of papers that required his signature, saying he needed to finish off the rest of his work and that he would give them ten minutes to walk around.

She could sense his deliberate brush-off. Following He Shan out of his office, she listened to him enthusiastically describe the various laboratories they passed, only smiling politely in response and speaking very few words. She was very afraid that taking the initiative to ask to come here had caused him to feel like she was being rude.

Never before had she acted so impulsively and willfully before.

And now, this one-off time caused her to feel distressed and anxious. In the end, she could only remember the laboratory's name: Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Thermal Aging. At least that could be considered as having gained an understanding of his work.

"Here, we have the nation's only large-scale thermal aging equipment capable of carrying out high voltage, up to a maximum of 60 kV, and high temperature, up to a maximum of 200oC, experiments that combine pyroelectric properties and thermal stability testing."

She nodded. Mm. Basically didn't understand any of what she heard.

Even He Shan eventually could sense her mood and he smiled shyly, "Teacher Zhousheng treats everyone that way, as if he has nothing to do with anyone. Don't let it bother you."

Shi Yi responded with an "mm-hmm" and replied, "I can tell. He does everything according to the mood he is in. If he feels like acknowledging you, then he will say an extra couple of things to you, but if he doesn't, he will just not say anything at all and not give you any face whatsoever."

"Yes, yes!" He Shan nodded his head quickly. "Just like that."

She smiled, "He has always been like that."

"You and Teacher Zhousheng have known each other for a long time?" He Shan was puzzled. "I had thought the two of you had just met."

Shi Yi did not speak. Only when they had walked out to the main entrance hall on the first floor did she finally clarify, "Indeed, it has not been long. We met by chance half a year ago in an airport and afterwards, we did not really see each other."

She was not a person skilled in socializing.

Fortunately, there were actually not many people at dinner, maybe five or six, and the reason they had all been at work over the weekend was because they were not Xi'an locals. They found a restaurant that was close to Xi'an Jiaotong University and asked for a small private room. Some people were responsible for ordering their dishes while others chatted cordially with Shi Yi.

Gourd-shaped chicken, mushrooms and walnuts with quick-boiled pig tripe and duck gizzard, and spicy pig kidney[1]...... The dishes that were served were all ones that she had heard people talk about before but had never tasted.

There are many types of beautiful women. Most will fall into the category of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some will cherish this one while ott the least bit intimidating, so everyone had a rather favourable impression of her. By the time most of the dishes were served up onto the table, she was already well acquainted with this group from the laboratory.