21

Chapter 6.3 - Beauty is Offered, but Whose Soul is Given? (3)

In this unfamiliar surrounding, it was difficult for her to immediately fall asleep.

This was especially so when coupled with that late night clamor that had suddenly occurred. Fortunately, Zhousheng Chen quickly returned to their courtyard wing. She could hear his voice echoing up from downstairs, so she treaded lightly over to the window and looked down.

In the moonlight, he was facing five or six men dressed in black, one of whom was one of the household managers who been present when they were trying dishes. His voice was not loud, and she could not hear specifically what he was saying. She only saw, shortly after, him make a waving motion, and then everyone dispersed.

Only he remained, alone in the courtyard.

The two girls who lived on the first floor and were responsible for waiting upon their day-to-day needs asked him the hour of the next day's morning meal. He merely stated that it would be as usual and said something else in a low voice before proceeding upstairs. When Shi Yi stepped away from the window, she could already hear a knocking on her door.

Opening the door, she saw Zhousheng Chen standing there, his left elbow against the doorframe. He smiled, "I am back now and just wanted to let you know."

She also leaned against the door. "Is there something serious?"

He hesitated briefly. "Last time, you saw a pregnant woman, a cousin-sister-in-law. She slipped and fell just now and possibly may be having premature labour."

Her heart gave a leap, not expecting that such a misfortune would suddenly occur, and she asked a few more questions.

But what was strange was, why would he, a man, need to look after this matter? That really did not seem reasonable.

However, since he had not told her the entire story, there was no need for her to ask further. After all, she was not his fiancée right now, and even if she was, there perhaps was still a long way to go for her to truly become a member of this family.

While they were speaking, the girl, Lianhui, came up the stairs carrying a cup of tea. With a slight bow to the two of them, she brought the tea into Shi Yi's room. After Lianhui had departed, Zhousheng Chen explained, "This is water soaked with dried lotus seed sprouts. Consuming some will help you sleep better. Be sure, though, not to drink too much. Should you wake up in the middle of the night, you can also sip small amount to moisten your throat."

No wonder it had the light fragrance of lotus seeds.

Shi Yi's heart seemed to soften a little, and she nodded again. As she lifted her head to say good night to him, he had already suddenly lowered his own. They were such a close distance she could even feel that the tip of his nose was touching hers, gently brushing against her skin, but he did not take things any further.

Her eyes widened with disbelief at this.

"A good night kiss? May I?" He tilted his head slightly to the side.

Shi Yi lightly breathed out a yes.

The two of them were so close they could feel each other's breath on their face.

What if she had not said yes? What would he have done?

Her mind was jumbled from her overwhelming emotions, and she closed her eyes. She could feel something soft against her lips.

At first, she had thought it would be just a brief touch to the lips.

She had not anticipated it would be such a long, deep kiss. Their lips and tongues had the delicate fragrance of lotus seeds, which was also intermixed with the minty taste, although not very strong, of absinthe. There seemed to be something different from that other night, although why it was different or what was different about it, she could not say exactly. She felt the tip of his tongue caress the roof of her mouth, and it was like someone had touched the most fragile part of her. Instinctively, she tried to take a step back, but one of his hands reached down to clasp the back of her waist and she could not retreat.