46

Chapter 14.3 – After Magnificence Has Become But Emptiness (3)

Two days later, she and Zhousheng Chen went to visit Wenxing.

Her condition appeared to be good, but she still was not meeting the criteria. In just this half a month, she had already missed a suitable donor heart that had become available. These were facts that Zhousheng Chen had told her earlier in a brief summary. She was not knowledgeable about organ transplants, but she did know that the dangers of congenital heart defects were much higher than heart disorders acquired later in life. Hence, she could not help feeling for Wenxing. It would always seem that the healers of others could not heal themselves.

This time, she ran into Mei Xing there.

Wenxing’s hospital room had its own separate sitting room and couches. While Zhousheng Chen went to speak to the doctor, she headed to Wenxing’s room first. A light blue tracksuit jacket was draped over Wenxing’s shoulders, and she was laughing quietly. Mei Xing was also laughing as he shook his head, pulled off his glasses, and wiped them with a handkerchief from his pocket.

“Sister-in-Law?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Sister-in-Law, I have some nice tea here, and I’ve brewed two cups.” Wenxing took her own cup and gently slid it over so it was in front of Shi Yi. “I can’t drink it. You drink.”

Shi Yi was amused. “Indeed, you really should not drink tea. Why did you make a cup for yourself, then?”

“I saw Mei Xing and I was so excited I forgot.” Wenxing’s gaze drifted over to Mei Xing. “Source-of-Calamity[1] Mei.”

Mei Xing smiled, but it was a silent smile.

A nurse came in to perform a routine check on Wenxing. Shi Yi sat down on a single sofa and reached for the cup of tea, but just as her hand touched its base, Mei Xing also placed his hand on the other side of the teacup base and held it down.

Mei Xing’s eyes were dark, as if they had been dabbed with ink, and the expression in them was deep and unfathomable as they glanced over at her.

Perplexed, Shi Yi stared back at him, but hearing Wenxing calling for her, for the time being, she did not think on this further.

Later, when Zhousheng Chen arrived, he and Mei Xing spoke for some time in the small sitting room. Before he left, Mei Xing casually instructed someone to pour out the two cups of tea. As she watched the disappearing outline of his back and remembered the moment earlier on when their gazes had met, she was influenced by the atmosphere Mei Xing had exuded and actually started to think that there had been something wrong with that cup of tea.

Comparing him and Wenxing, it should be clear who should have the closer relationship with her…

She should not have any misgivings.

When Shi Yi was feeling a little better, she began making up the work she had dropped during her two months away and made plans to go to the studio the following week to record. Hearing that she was starting work again, Mei Lin ran through her work with her while complaining in between that the various producers were going to cause her to kill herself soon. That afternoon, the latest file of work was couriered over, and it was as thick as a book. In accordance with her vocal timbre, most roles were from a period or ancient setting.

She casually flipped through the file, familiarizing herself with the roles.

Her own book that she was writing, on the other hand, had been set aside.

The book was nearing its ending, and she was writing very slowly because she could not really remember his ending.

She was unable to recall why or how he had died. Since she was unable to remember, she could only go back to edit the earlier parts. However, because she cared too much about what she was writing, she struggled and agonized over the words and sentences chosen and would end up changing them over and over again.