36

Chapter 11.3 - Your First Adornment was Like You (3)

When she awoke, she could feel him gently stroking her back.

There was no lust in his action. It was similar to holding a cat in your arms, as you cooed and stroked it instinctively. Shi Yi opened her eyes but then quietly closed them again.

Zhousheng Chen, I love you.

She felt that it could not have only been in their previous life or even two lifetimes ago that they had been entangled together, but that every lifetime, every incarnation, their lives had been interwoven together.

So, when had it been? And what other things would happen?

Life after life, entrusted to one another.

Yes, that was it. Life after life, entrusted to one another.

The thoughts drifted languidly in her mind, and after a little while, her lips turned up into a noiseless laugh.

Zhousheng Chen detected her movement and, in a low voice, asked, "You're awake?"

"Mm."

"Let's stay here tonight. Tomorrow, we will return to Shanghai, alright?"

"Mm."

"After... there will be a long period of time that I need to stay in Zhenjiang."

"You're going back there to stay?"

"Yes, back there to stay."

Shi Yi pondered for a moment. "How about I resign and go back with you?"

Zhousheng Chen did not answer her immediately. He seemed to be weighing out the options. She supposed, Zhousheng Chen's concern was likely regarding his family, but she did not want to continue to be separated from him now that he was back in the country.

"It is better if you remain in Shanghai. Zhenjiang is not far. I can come back every other day. Or, on the weekends, you can go stay with me in Zhenjiang for two days," he suggested.

Shi Yi did not argue any further. "Alright. If you are coming back every other day, then let's stay in my home. Your place is too big. If you're not there, I won't really be used to living there by myself."

She thought to herself, the decisions he made would, without a doubt, be the best for both of them.

"Alright."

When evening came, they left the hotel to go for dinner.

Zhousheng Chen was not as particular as Xiao Ren and had not made any deliberate arrangements regarding meals, suggesting simply that they find a nearby place to grab something to eat. Shi Yi immediately felt much relieved. It seemed, apart from when he was in Zhenjiang with his family, the Zhousheng Chen she was familiar with had all along maintained his own lifestyle.

It was simple, but he was not indifferent about it.

His attire was neat, proper, and fitting, and personal belongings were minimal. He did not enjoy social engagements and, even more so, did not like using things that wasted time, such as mobile phones. At fixed times, in fixed places, he would carry out regular activities. Eating and drinking were viewed as necessities in life. As for other things... Holding his arm, Shi Yi tried hard for a while to think of more, but then laughed.

Zhousheng Chen looked down at her.

She explained to him, "I was thinking about what you have in common with other men, but I couldn't think of very many things. For instance, you watch useless television dramas, too, but to be able to watch 'A Step Into the Past' seventy-nine times... That's just..."