41

Chapter 13.2 - Mysteries that Could Not Be Unraveled (2)

Since her fall overboard into the water, Zhousheng Chen was even more cautious regarding the people he arranged to be with her.

If she wanted to walk about in the old manor, the young girl and Uncle Lin would accompany her. Sometimes, Shi Yi would find it troublesome and would be even more content to stay in her own room, thinking, once Ghost Month was over, things would be fine.

After all, in Shanghai, she still had her own circle of friends, but here, aside from Wenxing, she truly did not have anyone she could really talk to. Then again, this also was a quiet place for her to focus and write her book.

There were times where she would write several thousand words in one day. She would then pick the passages that she felt were good and copy them again onto the actual paper she was using.

Each word, each sentence was carefully chosen.

Zhousheng Chen's mother's manner towards her was truly starting to change slowly.

At times, she would even invite her to have tea with her.

She was afraid Zhousheng Chen would worry, so she would only go when he could accompany her. Fortunately, she had the excuse that her "health was not very good." Otherwise, if her own parents ever found out, they would reprimand her for being disrespectful to an elder.

His mother would always prepare highly nutritious foods or herbal medicines specifically for her alone to eat and would tell her to consume them there before her.

This practice was very odd and was the same as Zhousheng Chen's, where, if she needed to eat or use something, he needed to personally watch before he could set his mind at ease.

"I heard Wenxing mention that you have read many ancient and classic books?" his mother asked her after waiting for her to set down her spoon.

"I have read some," she smiled. "I find the writing in classical texts very beautiful."

"Which ones do you tend to like most?"

"A wide variety. Hmm... I have probably read anything that has been published and is available on the market. And also some books from private collections."

She did not enjoy having overly complicated interpersonal relationships, and as a result, in the twenty-odd years of this life, most of her time had been spent in reading about the rise and fall of dynasties and the poetry and songs that had followed after that lifetime.

"I am very fond of girls who read." With a slight smile, his mother looked at her.

In all this time, this was the first form of approval his mother had given her.

She smiled.

"However... I still maintain my stance: you are not suitable for this family of ours." His mother's eyes were fixed on her as she continued, "You have a very good family. It is not one of distinguished or influential personages but still is an erudite family. Your mother and father have a harmonious relationship. You do not have any brothers or sisters. The social circle of your adulthood is not complicated. You have fixed routines, fixed activities - a very regular lifestyle - and a career that very much suits your wishes. Correct?"

She pondered this briefly. "Yes. I spend weekends with my parents. On workdays, the morning is spent reading while the afternoon through to midnight or so is spent in the recording studio, where I only need to face the script and the recording engineer."

Zhousheng Chen's eyes flicked over toward her.

He seemed as if he wanted to prevent his mother's questioning, but for some reason, he abandoned the idea.