19

Chapter 6.1 - Beauty is Offered, but Whose Soul is Given? (1)

Shi Yi counted down the days, one by one. She was somewhat nervous and asked him whether she needed to meet the other members of the Zhou family ahead of time. Zhousheng Chen turned down this suggestion in a very simple fashion. His exact words were, "There is no need to meet them in advance. At most three years, and then I will return to the normal trajectory of my life. You should do the same. There is no need to change anything."

She knew, by "normal trajectory," he meant it would be like the him in the Xi'an research institute.

The one who wore a white laboratory coat and led a team of researchers to study materials that she would never understand.

Even though she was about to be engaged, she still needed to participate in several events that were within the scope of her work.

For example, all the voice actors of East Media were required to participate in a singing program that was being recorded as a perk for the listeners. These voice actors did not often open their mouths to sing, but if they were to step into a recording studio and musical accompaniment were to start playing, their singing would almost certainly amaze the overwhelming majority of listeners. As a result, since the first installment three years ago, this had become an annual event that occurred every May.

She did not even have the opportunity to request time off.

By the time Uncle Lin had driven her to the recording studio, there were already many people there waiting. Some were standing while others were sitting, all of them dressed casually, and they laughed and chatted amongst each other. When Shi Yi pushed open the door and entered the room, two middle-aged women laughed and joked, "Hey, look! The one who won the this year's 'Best Sounding Voice' has arrived." They were both seniors in the voice acting industry and would frequently tease her. She heaved a sigh and jokingly as well, bowed deeply towards them and said, "Seniors, your junior has transgressed and won this year's award. My bad, my bad."

Everyone guffawed.

That was the nice thing about voice actors. The did not show their faces, and their reputations and the knowledge of their names were limited to within the industry. As a result, they were generally people who were indifferent to fame and fortune. Shi Yi was pretty, her disposition was kind and polite, and she was very respectful to the more seasoned seniors of the industry, so naturally, she was very well liked.

She walked over and out of habit, sought out Mei Lin to ask for the script.

However, the latter only stood there, hands folded across her chest, and said very embarrassedly, "This year, the rules have changed. The boss said, we need to learn from Good Voices and have you guys record the thing that you do best. We will have a competition out in the public eye."

"Really?" Shi Yi looked around at everyone and discovered that their hands really were not holding any papers.

"Really," Mei Lin laughed, and then in a lowered voice, asked, "Should we use your face for the poster?"

Shi Yi gave her a hard jab with her elbow.

Mei Lin whispered to her, "I'll tell you something: Wang Yingdong is here today."

Wang Yingdong. D. Wang. A very low profile and extremely talented producer. Most importantly, he had liked Shi Yi for a long time now, so long that everybody knew about his feelings, but yet he had never once told her directly. Shi Yi was not slow-witted, but given that they belonged to the same company, she more or less would still need to have some contact with him. She had already asked Mei Lin to, as much as possible, arrange for all her work to avoid interactions with him, but for this type of big project, she could not evade it.