The Hunt

The British police jeep raced down the muddy road with ferocity, its engine roaring like a fierce beast. The weather was unforgiving; the early dawn after a treacherous rainy night was dark and eerily calm. The calmness was sinister, and it only added to the restlessness of the two pairs of eyes inside the jeep. Anirudh scanned the surroundings, ever vigilant for any signs of his missing brother, Batuk. Officer Paul Davidson sat beside the driver, his impatience and anxiety palpable. The Indian driver, visibly scared of his boss's restlessness, focused on driving.

The other British officer, sitting behind Anirudh, leaned forward and addressed Davidson in an irritated voice. "Sir, if I may ask, why are we even going to look for these Indians? Don't we have more important affairs to attend to?"

Davidson frowned and looked annoyed at this abrupt enquiry. "Sergeant Desmond, had it not been for this Indian man sitting beside you, I wouldn't have been alive today. So, as your commanding officer, I'd say do as you're told."

Davidson adjusted the rearview mirror and looked at Anirudh. Anirudh had heard the conversation too, but he was in no mood to intervene or justify anything. His heart was pounding so loud that it was a bad omen.

The jeep continued to move forward, with the flora on either side, and the road looked like everyone had died. There was no one around to ask for directions, and there were no signs of any locality or inhabitants.

Anirudh turned to the driver. "Bhaiya, which village is this?"

"Golakpur border Saheeb!" The Bihari driver responded courteously, sparing a glance at the high positioned officer sitting beside him.

Davidson, too, was looking outside.

"Is there a station nearby? Maybe a post office?"Anirudh asked again, and his words made Davidson search his folder map at once, his face furrowed in deep concentration. He finally located the station on the map and ordered the driver to head there.

"Hee yah Chaallo!" He pointed at the particular spot on the map.

The Jeep took a sharp turn towards the west.

Anirudh's heart was pounding in his chest as he leaned forward in the backseat of the car, his eyes fixed outside.

'Where are you Batuk? Where!'
He sighed to himself.

"No babu, no one got down here."
The station master at Golakpur junction folded his hands and spoke fearfully. The man's fear was palpable, radiating off him in waves, and Anirudh couldn't help but feel a twinge of sympathy. He knew all too well the kind of power the British officers held over the locals.

"Think hard!" Davidson, on the other hand, was not feeling particularly sympathetic. His face had turned red with frustration, and he was practically seething with anger.
"A man, a young man of twenties and a young woman."

The station master gulped.
"No... No saheb."
He looked at Anirudh with helpless pleading eyes. He stuttered and stumbled over his words, his eyes darting back and forth between the two men.

Finally, Anirudh spoke up, his voice calm and steady.
"Listen, don't be afraid. We are looking for my brother, he's... Well, is there any other way one can reach Faridpur?" he asked, trying to diffuse the tension in the air.

"Faridpur Railway station."
The station master replied fearfully with a confused expression.

"Of course Faridpur station, do we think we're that dumb! That's the first place we looked!" Davidson yelled at the man.

"Sor... Sorry sahib!"

"Is there any other way?" Anirudh asked calmly, contrary to the loud pounding of his heart.