'Un'Justified Madness

The room basked in the gentle glow of two electric lamps, their golden light casting a soothing aura, like a comforting embrace in the darkness. The camphor-like scent of medicine lingered in the air, mingling with the soft rustle of Bhargavi's footsteps as she entered, her heart heavy with worry.

Bhargavi entered inside, her steps cautious, like a scared child, tiptoeing on the wet floor, afraid to disturb the serene stillness, her eyes fell on Batuk's silhouette upon the bed. Batuk was lying still, the cotton canopy hanging low from the bedpost, whose color was not very clear in the light of the flame.

As Bhargavi inched closer, a wave of tenderness washed over her, softening her features as she reached out to touch Batuk's forehead, her fingers trembling with apprehension. His silky hair whispered beneath her touch, like strands of silk caressed by a gentle breeze.

Batuk stirred, his slumber disturbed by her gentle caress, and as he awakened, Bhargavi's hand recoiled, a blush creeping across her cheeks.

"Don't stop... Continue... It feels good," Batuk's voice broke the silence, his eyes sparkling with warmth as he gazed at her. Bhargavi's smile was hesitant, tinged with embarrassment, yet she resumed to comfort him, her fingers trailing through his hair as Batuk shifted aside, inviting her to sit beside him on the bed.

Bhargavi hesitated for a moment, her heart fluttering like a trapped bird, before she acquiesced, her steps light as she settled beside him, their proximity bridging the gap between them. It was as casual as breathing for him, but it carried all the meaning in the world for her.

"Are you hungry? Shall I bring you something to eat?" Bhargavi's voice was soft, laced with concern, as Batuk pouted like a child denied a treat.

"Of course I'm hungry, but who cares, everyone seems busy with their own chores," His words carried a hint of playful exasperation, drawing a smile from Bhargavi.

"Not that, everyone is worried about you and..."

Batuk's restless energy interrupted her, his impatience palpable as he inquired about the menu, his appetite overshadowed by his curiosity.

"Nah, let it be. You tell me what I'd asked you to... Did you meet her?"

"Yes."

"And?"

"And she seemed very disoriented... Her words, and..."

"Can you blame her? After all she had gone through?" Batuk's sigh echoed in the room, heavy with understanding. "What did she say? About me?"

Bhargavi hesitated, her gaze faltering for a moment before she mustered the courage to speak.

"She loves you."

The revelation was a whisper, yet it reverberated within Batuk's soul, a beacon of hope amidst the darkness of his doubts. With renewed vigor, he sat up, his heart soaring on the wings of newfound certainty.

"Tell me everything."

Bhargavi began, her words a delicate spin around the truth, weaving a net of emotions as she recounted her conversation with Mira, her voice quivering with each revelation.

"Choto babu, she loves you," Her voice trembled with tenderness, her words a fragile gift wrapped in uncertainty.

"But..."

"But?" Batuk's brow furrowed, his anticipation tinged with apprehension.

"She said she can't have children."

Batuk's initial response faltered, a mixture of amusement and frustration playing across his features before he composed himself with a deep sigh.

"It's not in her hands... It's us both, and...", he chose not to complete his explanation in front of the girl.