Shadows of Determination

Chattagram Main Hospital was a nightmare when compared to Calcutta Medical College. The building, although fairly new, had unfinished railings, windows, and corridors, where the moans and groans of patients filled the air. In one corner, Batakrishna sat on a weathered wooden stool beside a small, tattered bed. With tender care, his left hand caressed Mira's fevered forehead as she floated in and out of consciousness. Each time she fluttered her heavy eyelids, struggling to grasp reality, Batakrishna would whisper gentle words to soothe her.

Bearing the marks of his recent ordeal, Batakrishna's face displayed bruises, clear signs of his struggle, his eyes and lower lip swollen and discolored. A white bandage adorned his head, while his right hand remained in a sling. Despite the visiting doctor's strict orders to stay in bed, Batakrishna couldn't bear to be away from Mira's side. He had ignored the nurse's pleas, limping to the bed next to his. Mira's physical injuries paled in comparison to the trauma that had taken its toll on her fragile health.

For the past 36 hours, Batakrishna had been a constant presence by Mira's side, never leaving her. And finally, with his unwavering care, Mira's eyes fluttered open fully, revealing a glimmer of recognition when she saw Batakrishna's eager face leaning over her.

"Bata... Batakrishna..." She struggled to spell his name, and a tear rolled down his cheek, wetting his lashes.

"Yes, Mira, I'm here," he replied, his voice filled with tenderness.

"You... alright?" Mira gasped, her trembling hand reaching up to cup his bruised face, and despite the physical discomfort, he managed a smile.

"Now, I am." He kissed her knuckles softly.

"And those men?" Mira inquired, her concern evident.

"They are in jail," Batakrishna smiled, planting another gentle kiss.
"They won't hurt us, or anyone else, ever again."

Mira heard his words, taking a deep breath. Her eyes closed once more, and Batakrishna leaned closer, stealing another kiss from her.

"You would not leave me? Ever?" Mira asked, her lips trembled at his touch, and as she slowly opened her eyes, they revealed a depth of emotion that Batakrishna vowed to unravel for the rest of his life.

"How could I ever leave you? You are my wife, Mira, my life, and I am bound to you forever," he whispered, his finger tracing a line along her bare hairline. "I will fill your life with colors once again Mira, and no one will dare to wash them away."

Their gazes locked intensely, and a glistening tear formed in the corner of Mira's eye. In that moment, unspoken warmth enveloped them, transforming the sterile hospital hall into their personal paradise- her Baikuntha, where she once wished to worship her Krishna forever!

"I love you, Mira," Batakrishna confessed once more.

"Ahem, Ahem! Batuk?" Anirudh's voice interrupted their romantic reverie. Batakrishna turned, his brother's presence jolting him back to reality.

"Dada... We are ready to go home," Batakrishna replied, smiling warmly. Anirudh returned the smile, his heart aching at the sight of his bruised and battered younger brother, perched precariously on the stool. Anirudh's gaze then shifted to Mira.

"You both are still weak. You need rest," Anirudh paused, hesitating for a moment.

"What is it, Dada?" Batakrishna asked, concern etched on his face.

"May I have a moment with you alone, Batuk?" Anirudh extended his hand, and Batakrishna immediately grasped it for support, rising slowly to his feet.

"I'll be back in a short while, Mira... Close your eyes and try to rest. I'll come and love you again," Batuk crutched on his brother's shoulder, his eyes reluctantly leaving her sight, and Anirudh sighed at how lovesick his brother appeared.