one

i sat in the passenger seat as my mother drove up the road toward cousins beach. i had always lived for the summer. my life revolved around the few months i got to spend at the fisher house. jeremiah, steven, isabel, conrad. they are my people. my world was them.

my mom had taylor swift turned up, with the windows down. the wind blew my hair around behind me. the salty water stained the air as we neared the house. i could see the blue water in the distance, the waves crashing against the shore.

as we pulled into the driveway, susannah stepped outside. i felt excitement well up in my chest. her and my mother, anna, ran toward each other.

as i was getting out of the car, jeremiah came running at me. he wrapped his arms around me, lifting me off the ground and spinning us around.

as he set me down, he looked down at me. his light brown hair was messy on top of his head, and his light eyes shone in the sun. i missed you so much, rosie!" he said, still holding onto my waist. "you look a lot different this year."

"in a good way or a bad way?" i questioned.

he laughed, "a good way, obviously!"

i pushed my hair away from my face, and jeremiah grabbed my chin gently, turning to my head. "holy piercings!" he said, looking at the silver jewelry in my ears. "did you do all those this past year?"

i smiled at him, "yup, nine since the last time i was here."

i heard the door of the house close and turned my head. conrad walked outside, his eyes immediately falling onto me. he looked even more handsome than i had remembered. his photos on instagram did not do him justice. "hey, rosie!" he called out.

"connie!" i said, running toward him.

we embrace each other. he held me tightly as my head lay on his chest. "i missed you." he whispered.

i smiled up at him as we let go of each other. his hands lingered on my body.

susannah came up to me, "look at you, darling! you look so grown up!"

i hugged her as another car pulled into the driveway.

belly, and steven jumped out of the car. belly ran to be giving me a big hug. she looked so much older now. she was stunning. everyone made their rounds greeting each other.

"i think it's time for a belly flop!" steven called out. everyone grabbed onto belly and pulled her toward the pool. i followed behind.

they threw belly in, all laughing. "why do you guys never throw rosie in!" she called from the water.

"because it's funnier to do it to you!" steven yelled. "you always put up a fight!"