three

it was early the following day; the sun had hardly risen from the horizon. i was in sweatpants and an oversized hoodie. i headed to the beach to clear my head. as i walked down the beach, i saw conrad sitting on the sand.

"what's up, connie," i said, sitting next to him.

"hey, rosie," he said quietly, looking off toward the water.

i rubbed my eye, "do you remember anything from last night?" i asked.

he turned his head and looked at me, "i remember everything when i drink." he said.

i nodded, taking a second to think about what he had said. he had remembered touching my face, calling me beautiful. he had remembered it.

"hey, want to go grab a coffee or breakfast or something?" he asked as he stood up.

"sure," i replied while he extended his hand to help me off the ground.

"can you drive?" he asked.

i laughed as we walked next to one another toward the driveway. "yeah, you don't look good enough to drive yet."

we reached the driveway, and i got into my mothers' car. conrad climbed into the passenger seat, and we headed into town. there was one cafe which was twenty-four hours, so that was our destination.

we sat at a corner table, and each got a cup of coffee. conrad's hangover set in heavily as he took sips.

he looked up at me from across the table, "what were you and jere talking about by the water last night?" he asked.

i looked up at him, not knowing what to say. he was watching me last night, and i didn't notice. my attention was on jeremiah instead of him. i didn't want him to think that jeremiah and i were anything. i didn't wish for jeremiah to think conrad and i were anything. because i wasn't anything with anyone.

"nothing. we didn't get many words before your fight with that guy."

he shrugged his shoulders, "fair enough."

he kept his eyes on me, "do you like jere?"

"of course i like jere; he's my best friend."

conrad shook his head, "no, not like that. do you like him?"

i paused for a moment before i spoke. i did like jeremiah, but i also liked conrad. so i decided to lie. "i don't like anybody."

"it's just how you were looking at him all googleyed," he fired back quickly.

"all googleyed?" i said, raising my eyebrows.

"yeah."

i scoffed, "piss off, man, i wasn't looking at anyone like that."