fisher boys

─── FISHER BOYS
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

─── FISHER BOYS(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty ❜

         Football had always been a Fisher Boys thing. Growing up, Adam, Conrad, and Jeremiah would spend hours and hours playing in their backyard. While Avery and Susannah watched them or found something to do together, Adam would teach the boys how to toss the ball and how to catch it. He made sure to teach them everything he knew about the sport.

The brothers loved the sport, but Conrad had always loved it more. While Jeremiah was good at it — for him, it was something fun he did with his dad and brother, and after middle school, he stopped joining teams and only played for fun — Conrad was great at it.

Every coach was sure he was meant for greatness.

Adam knew he was meant for greatness.

Conrad joined his high school football team during freshman year. He became the star player of his team. He caught the eye of many D1 teams. He got offers from the colleges those teams belonged to. He got into Brown. He was bound to become a Brown Bear. He was Adam Fisher's pride and joy — until he quit football during senior year when he was about to be named team captain.

Conrad never explained why he chose to quit football. All he said was that he got bored and no longer liked it. Everyone guessed it had something to do with his sudden change. He shut himself down and quit football, or he's heartbroken, his mom would say every time Adam tried to fight him for his decision.

Avery never understood why. Why did he quit, and why did he shut himself down. She asked, and he would change the subject every time. But now, as she watches the boy play the game he claims he hates, with a broad smile as he played with his brother, does she understand why he quit football all those months back. Why one day she got a text from him telling her he would skip class and instead go to his coach's office and asked to meet him in his car at the end of the period.

Adam Fisher was the cause.

Adam Fisher was the one who did something that hurt his oldest son so much that almost a year after, he still hasn't talked about it.

Adam Fisher, who just ran towards his son, surprising him from behind as he caught the ball before him, and caused the broad smile to disappear.

Even though the sober and stubborn part of her was currently mad with the boy, the drunk and stupid part wanted to go and comfort him. She felt her body tense as she watched him grab his shoes and was away. She was about to get up and go after him when,

"Avery," Shayla said, tapping her arm repeatedly, bringing her attention back to them — to the pier, where she was with the girls, Steven and Cam.