follow your heart

─── FOLLOW YOUR HEART
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

         Avery was pacing around her room, waiting for Conrad to knock on her door

Avery was pacing around her room, waiting for Conrad to knock on her door. At that moment, she regretted agreeing to have the conversation after the book party. It wasn't because she didn't know where she stood, because she did know, but because she was feeling too nervous waiting for him. Maybe the mistake hadn't been saying they would talk but saying they would wait until everyone had gone to bed because they didn't want to be interrupted again.

A song was playing in the background as she paced around her room, back and forth, when she heard someone knock on her door. Nervously, she walked towards it, unsure whether it would be who she was waiting for or someone else.

"Hey," she said after opening the door and being greeted by her best friend's face.

"Hi," he hadn't changed into his pajamas as she had, but she could see that he had been running his hands through his hair while he waited because it was all over the place.

"Come in," she told him, moving away from the door.

Avery closed the door and found him awkwardly standing in the middle of her room. He didn't look nervous, but she could tell he was. The way he was swaying back and forth and not allowing his eyes to stay on her for longer than a second gave it away.

"Can we go straight to the point?" she stayed beside the door, hand still on the doorknob, "I don't know if I can still deal with my thoughts for another second if we just keep avoiding-"

"I thought that's what you wanted," he scoffed, arching his brow. He was angry and wouldn't pretend he wasn't, "or did I misunderstand what you were doing this morning when you acted as if you couldn't hear me?"

"That was before you mentioned that you have been waiting for me to notice your feelings for years!" she yelled, running a hand through her hair.

"Why?" he looked genuinely confused.

"Because I never thought that could be a possibility, Conrad! You were my best friend, and I was yours. That was it. It was simple. But now I know it wasn't simple for over half of the time we've been friends, and I- I have no idea how to act around you now!"

"Nothing has to change between us-"

"Everything is going to change between us!" she sighed, falling into the floor with her back still against the door, "You've had feelings for me since we were twelve. That's five, six fucking years, Conrad! I don't know how to act like you didn't say that! And we fucking kissed! There's a line for a boy and girl friendships, and we fucking crossed it!" she looked down at the floor before admitting, "I- I like you too... Fuck. I have feelings for my best friend," she laughed, running a hand through her hair, "and I kissed him. That's the perfect recipe for disaster, Con..."