Chapter 24

Harlyn

The week passes slowly. So slowly. Too slowly. I work. I go to class. I finally meet with my professors and pick a dissertation topic. I study with Finley and Max. I spend as much time as I can as close to Finley as humanly possible. I play the piano. Mom stares at me in concern. I haven't played this much in ages. But I really want my conversation with Elly to go well. And then Friday comes around. Friday means the start of Easter break, and I don't even have any work scheduled. Max and Finley are on their class trip to Belgium and won't be back until late. So, I'm alone. All day.

I play piano for a bit. I walk into High street and wander around the stores. Nothing really catches my eye, but I'm not really here to shop. When it's clear this isn't helping, I go back home. Mum's making dinner when I get back, and she calls me in to help.

"How has your day been, darling?" she asks, stirring a large pot on the stove.

"Er, fine," I answer. She points at a cutting board she's already laid out with vegetables, and I pick up the knife.

"What's wrong?" She knows me too well.

"Nothing," I mutter, slicing through a carrot. "It's just been a long week. Max and Finley are in Belgium. Elly's been busy. So, I've just been alone today with not much to do."

"That makes sense. You never were one to play on your own," she teases.

I smile, even though I know she can't see. She's right. And she's told me it a million times. Marley could entertain himself, but I always needed someone to keep me company. It's what makes days like this so hard. I don't know how to be alone with just me. I'm starting to sound like Finley. That's good, right? I'm less scared of looking in my own brain. My mind doesn't freeze up as much. It's still hard. And days like today don't help. But baby steps.

Dad gets home just as Mum is taking the pot off the burner. We have a quiet dinner, and I run up to my room as soon as I'm done helping clean up. There's a text from Finley waiting.

Finley:
Leaving Bruges now.

Me:
Long day.

Finley:
Yeah. But it's been amazing. How's yours?

I climb onto my bed and curl up.

Me:
It's been ok. Long. Little lonely.

Finley:
I'm sorry.

I don't know what to say to that.

Finley:
Here's an idea. Might be a bit crazy.

Me:
I don't mind crazy.

Finley:
That's good. Because you're dating me and I'm as crazy as they come.

That gets me to laugh. He can always get me to laugh.

Finley:
Well, we'll be getting in late. Like 11pm late. But what if I walk max home and say hi?

I let out a long breath. I want nothing more than to have him come over. But...

Me:
It's ok. You have a long walk home. And you've had a long day. You're tired. You don't need to go out of your way to see me.

Finley:
What if I want to go out of my way to see you?

My thumbs hover over the keyboard. What have I done to deserve Finley Bowers? He texts back before I'm able to protest again.

Finley:
It's settled. We'll see you in a few hours.

And that's it. No arguing with Finley. It's only 8:30. So I change into pajamas, crawl under my blankets, and turn on a show on my phone. Tomorrow. Tomorrow is when I can finally talk to Elly, I can finally get all of this off my chest. But I push those thoughts aside. That's for tomorrow me to do. I've already thought too much about how that conversation is going to go.