Chapter 25

Finley

Today is the day. Today is the day I tell my parents I want to move to England. I check my phone. We're supposed to call in ten minutes. They both get off work early today for Easter break this weekend. But it's still almost eight here. And Harlyn and Max are coming over after to plan our trip to Paris more. Paris. Without Elly. It's been four days, and Harlyn hasn't heard anything from her. She messaged in our group chat that exams are kicking her butt more than she realized, so she wouldn't be able to go to France with us this weekend.

It shattered Harlyn. He was holding out hope that at least she'd come with us and maybe give him a chance to explain more. He hasn't even had class to distract him with it being spring break now. That does mean we've had more time to spend together, usually with Max, but he's distracted and tired. I don't blame him.

My phone vibrates against my desktop with an incoming video call. Mom. I take a deep breath and answer, propping my phone against a glass of water. They're on our loveseat in the living room. Mom still has her blazer on, and Dad has loosened his tie, so it hangs awkwardly under his collar.

"Hi," I answer, trying to sound cheerful and not as absolutely petrified as I feel. They don't know I want to talk to them about anything. This is just our weekly chat, nothing out of the normal. Except that I'm about to tell them that I want to move to a different country in five months. No big deal.

"Hey, bud," Dad says, smiling tiredly and raking a hand through his hair. "How's it going?"

We chit chat for a few minutes. I fill them in on classes, and what I have left for final papers, and what we have planned so far for Paris - which isn't much. They tell me about work. Mom's insurance clients are crazy, as usual. Dad's math students want to murder him, as always. It's all so predictable, routine. No wonder Bridget wants to dip when she graduates in May and move to California. No wonder I've felt so stuck. It's the same thing over and over. Mom brings up my ISU application, which gives me a perfect segue.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you guys about that." I back track. "Well, tell you, actually." Be confident. This is your life. You're not asking their permission. You're telling them your plans. "I don't know if I'm going to go to ISU next year."

They both blink at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. There's a giggle worthy of Dolores Umbridge from off screen. Mom and Dad look in unison to their right. Of course Bridget's in the room. Because somewhere in my life I royally screwed up and earned that punishment. Mom turns back from glaring at Bridget, the same confused look settling back in place.

She shakes her head. "I'm sorry, what do you mean you're not going to ISU? You've always wanted to go to ISU. It's been your plan forever." No, I think, it's been your plan for me forever.

"I know," I say, as calmly as I can. "But I've changed my mind. I, uh..." Spit it out. Just rip off the Band-Aid. "I want to go to school here. In England. For more than a semester." I realize hazily that I've picked up some of Harlyn's cadence of speech.

"England?" Dad asks. From the look on his face, you'd think I just said I wanted to join the mafia or become a serial killer.

"Yeah," I say, pushing to get it all out before they can say their piece. "I want to keep going to Christ Church. It's a good school. And I think I can use my credits at ICC to get into the second year of a program. Maybe. If not, they're only three year programs, and even out of country tuition is cheaper than the States. And I want to change my major. I want to pursue writing, whatever that looks like. That's my passion."

"But...you've always wanted to be a teacher," he says slowly.

I fight back an eye roll. "No." I draw out the word like it might jog their memory. "I've always wanted to be a writer. English teacher was just the job that came with an English degree."