~Chapter 1~Update 12/19/19

The power of a wolf is a force to be reckoned with. The sharp claws and ivory teeth of great fury can rip through the souls of those who can't handle the spirit. Some can only handle the power in small portions. Coming into power, the rankings of packs and pack status.

Briar Stone was the smallest pup in decades for the Konane Pack. The last Runt didn't live to see it's wolf. Some say it was rumor of a ghost story that mothers tell their pups. The rumor was that they killed themselves in their bedroom, but everyone knew that wasn't the real story.

All wolves shift on their seventeenth birthday. Since the existence of the first wolf it's always been this way. That's also the age when you are supposed to be able to smell your mate. Once you smell your mate you receive your unique mark and then eventually You each will mark each other. For Runts, this was partially true.

As a part of their species, Runts can only smell their mate in wolf form, but that doesn't mean that their mate can't smell them. The problem with being a Runt is that you have to trust the person who claims to be your mate in human form. You're also weaker than all of the wolves, no matter how hard you train. Your bones are brittle and paper thin. Even a little scrape causes you to bleed pints with the cut taking a maximum of hours to close.

That was Briar's problem. Her older Sister, Sienna, not so much. Sienna is nineteen and doesn't have a mate yet. She's dated a few wolves but that's about it . Briar turns seventeen in a few days. This is supposed to be the best day of a werewolf's life, but for Briar, this may not be the best day of her life.

{Briar's POV}

Being 5 feet tall has its advantages. I can wear heels and never be taller than anyone, well toddlers maybe but that's not the point.

Today is the day of my Turning, or my birthday to be exact. My father, David Stone, who is the Alpha of the Konane pack likes to be professional around the pack when in reality he's a weird and playful father who will do anything to protect his family.

So of course I was woken at seven o'clock in the morning to "prep" for my party that's in twelve hours. And in my family, prep means throwing dresses at me to try on and discuss the menu.

For my sister, that process might work, but I, on the other hand, let my mom and sister raid my closet to look for a "decent" party outfit while I walk to the forest and sit in my special spot.

I throw on a pair of dark blue jeans, a black tee and wrapped a bandanna around my head after I threw my bed head hair into a messy bun and tie a red and black flannel around my waist shoving my feet into black Vans afterwards.

Gliding down the stairs and grabbing my keys as I left the house, I find the big Sycamore tree by the lake and climb to the top. since I was off my pack's territory, other wolves passed, but i was so little and quiet they didn't notice me.

I looked at the horizon as the clouds passed, watching the sky change colors, relaxing myself. I imagined what my wolf looked like. She speaks to me sometimes, more often now the closer it would get to my birthday. She told me her name, its Tala. Though as for conversations, that's it, it stays pretty simple.

"Hey there," scaring me from my daydream, I jumped and slipped off the tree branch I was sitting on. The mysterious man reached out and grabbed me before my hand slipped from holding onto the branch. He pulled me up to sit next to him.

Steadying me he starts. "I'm so sorry!" he screamed. "I didn't mean to startle you, are you okay?"

"Yeah, just-" I stopped feeling this stinging sensation, checking my hand. "Shit," I mumbled. My hand had a huge gash going across my palm. the blood wasn't slowing down. Ripping the bandanna off my head, I tightly wrapped it around my hand.