Against All Odds (Hozier x Nicki) ~~ Part 6

****Hozier's POV****

"Babe, it hurts......" Nicki cried, squeezing my hand really tightly. So here we are in the middle of the woods in a cabin, it's storming outside and Nicki is 8 months pregnant and in pain. She's had Braxton Hicks contractions twice before, so I'm not really sure if it's those or the real deal. Either way, we can't get to a hospital because (1) the nearest one is in town and it's too dangerous to be driving on the mountains in bad weather and (2) the GPS won't work because we only get good reception in the town, not on the mountain. We're here for vacation....it's just me, Nicki, and Vashti here.

"I'm sorry, babe. But just think about it.....this will all be over once our baby comes." I said to her, rubbing her stomach. Although we're 8 months in, we don't know the gender of the baby because we wanted it to be a surprise.

"Can we call a doctor or something?" she whined.

"There's no reception up here. But I'll take you to town as soon as the storm slacks up, I promise." I responded, kissing her nose afterwards.

"Okay.....I'm g-gonna try to lay back down." Nicki sighed, getting back under the covers.

~~~~3 Hours Later~~~~

The storm let up and reduced to just rain, so I told Nicki to head to the car while I went to get Vashti. I pulled Vashti's covers off of her and slowly picked up her up, but she woke up and started whining for Nicki.

"Nika....." she whined.

"Shhhh, it's me Rugrat." I softly said.

"Where's Mommy?"

"She's in the car. You're about to see her soon, I promise." I responded, followed by kissing her cheek. She kissed me back and wrapped her arms around my neck, then I grabbed the hospital bag and left out of the cabin. Nicki was already in the passenger seat, which let me know that she had the keys, so I opened the back door and sat Vashti in the seat. I then got in the car and started driving, mentally praying that an accident wouldn't happen.

It wasn't long before we got to town, so I just parked at a gas station to get my phone out. I found my phone in my pocket and pressed the side button to unlock it, but the screen remained black.

"No, no no!!! Not now!!" I said, still pressing the button. The phone still didn't come on and I sighed in frustration, realizing that my phone had died.

"Nic, do you have your phone with you?" I asked.

"No, it was in the bedroom." Nicki replied, followed by holding her stomach.

"AAHHH....it hurts!!" she screamed.

"I know, I know!! Uhm, I'm about to go in and ask someone for some directions. Okay?" I said, getting a pen and a napkin out of the console.

"Ooooh, can I come?" Vashti asked.

"Sure! Come on!" I answered, getting out of the car. Vashti got out and ran to me, then she held her arms up at me to pick her up.

"Not now, Rugrat! We don't have time."

"Please, Hozier?" she begged, giving me a cute face. I sighed and picked her up, then I ran inside of the gas station.

"Does anybody know where the hospital is?" I asked. This guy walked up to me and looked at us, then he shook his hand and spoke.

"Whose kid did you steal?" he asked.

"What?" I questioned.

"He asked you whose child that is? Y'all white men love stealing kids." a black woman said, adding on to who I assume is her husband's statement.