Chapter 11: Reunited

Emily's POV:

Derek said Declan should get here any minute now. I can't wait to see him, finally know for sure that he is safe. If it weren't for this god damn hole in my leg, I would have gone to find him myself, but I don't think I would get very far. I guess that was kind of his point when he shot me.
I start physical therapy in a few days, I can't wait to get out of this damn bed. The most I get to move around is when I have to use the bathroom.
I hear Derek right outside, my heart beating out of its chest. Derek comes in the room pushing a wheelchair with Declan in it. Even though I had already knew he had been recused by the team, a sigh of relief goes through me. I guess after all that time of always being given hope that is snatched away from me, I had to see that Declan was okay for myself. I seen that he had a cast on his leg which is why he is in the wheelchair.
I know better than to tell myself that is it all my fault that Declan was taken and had to see what he seen, but in the back of my mind I still feel guilty. I shouldn't have let my guard down for anyone. I should have known it was too good to be true, just like the other tests.
"Hi Lauren!" He said with a soft smile on his face.
"Oh honey I'm so glad your safe," I say now starting to feel tears falling down my cheeks and onto my lap. Derek pushed him over to the side of my bed and helped up on the side of my bed. As soon as he sat all the way down he dove into my chest to hug me. Even though it hurt like hell I just hug him back. Every second starts to feel more and more real. Though I am still a little convinced this isn't real, that it's just another one of his tests. It feels good to just have a little bit of hope even if it's not real.
"Please don't leave me again Lauren, I was so scared without you," Declan says softly.
"Oh honey, I know, I'm so sorry. I never wanted to leave you either, but it to protect you," I say back trying wipe away my tears.
"I know you had to but he still got me," he says.
"I'm so sorry Declan, you didn't deserve any of this," I say trying not to cry more.
"None of this is your fault Lauren" he says as he looks up into my eyes.
"Just please don't leave ever again," he says.
"I'm not going anywhere, I promise," I say holding him close.
"I'm gonna go get some coffee, i'f you need anything at all just call okay," I hear Derek said. We both nod back at him and he walks out the door. I look back over to Declan and just hold him in my arms. After a little while he fell asleep. I just lay in my hospital holding him while looking at the ceiling and just thinking about if he will be okay. He's already been through so much when he was a small child and now he's 15. When I first seen him I couldn't believe how much he had grown.
I would do anything for Declan. He is the reason I still have a will to live anymore.

Thanks for reading!😊