8

I drifted my eyelids open. I'm so tired and lethargic from waking up earlier than usual and my eyelids are heavy. But sudden excitement rushed over me. I was going to Morroco with all my friends! The hard part was waking up, and I lent over to check my phone. The time was 4:30 AM, and I needed to be at school by 6:00 AM.

I grumbled and forced my sheets off me. I doubted that Miguel would wake up before I left, so I decided to write him a goodbye note. I hopped into the shower and dried my hair. I did some makeup, got into comfy clothes, and walked to Miguel's room to put my note on his desk.

I also noticed that my Mom was still sleeping, so I just settled to text her a message before I left. I rummaged through all the cabinets and got out some toast to eat. I went on my phone for a little bit, and I texted João, Victoria, and Diego. I heard a familiar honk from outside my house, and I threw my shoes on. I grabbed my suitcase and unlocked the door.

Rather than João waiting in his car for me, He was outside of his car.

"How are you?" He asked beaming at me.

"Tired. Very tired." I groaned, walking over to him.

He pulled me into a hug, and he wrapped his arms around my waist, his hands landing on the small of my back. Butterflies were literally having a party in my stomach, and my cheeks were definitely bright red.

I pulled away, still flustered, and managed to get out, "Um, we should probably get going."

"Let me get your bag." He dragged my suitcase to the truck to place it inside.

I got into the car while João was putting my suitcase inside, and I saw his wallet. I opened it, hoping to make fun of his old driver's license photo, but while looking for it, I saw a photo of me in one of the sections. I raised an eyebrow and took it out, looking behind me to check where João was. I realized that it was a photo that was taken on my 14th birthday. I had a crown on my head, and cake all over my face, thanks to João, who smashed my face on it. There were presents on the table, and disco balls hanging from the ceiling. I smiled at the fond memory, which was interrupted by João slamming the trunk door. I stuffed the photo back in, upside down, and practically threw the wallet down.

The car door opened, making me jump from the recent adrenaline.

"You good?" He asked me, smiling a little.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine." I cleared my throat and got my phone out.

"So you're not going to talk to me?" He said, teasingly while glancing at me quickly.

"Of course not," I replied, sarcastically, turning my phone off.

"So," I said, "What room are you in?"

"Why, are you going to come to visit me tonight?" He smirked.

"No- I'm just curious!" I blurted, a little too defensive.

"Hey, It's okay, I was joking." He spoke, laughing gently, "And it's 277 section A."

"Oh," I spoke, My mood lifting because his room was right next to mine.

"What room are you in?" He asked curiously.

"I'm in room 278 section A."

"Cool, I can come to see you easily."

~

João and I walked into the cafeteria, us both seeing a cluster of people and teachers crowded. We both  checked the lists and were assigned between four flight groups and got separated. Luckily for me, João got into group B, which Luzia was in.