Chapter 2: A Bitterly Cold Night

"Earth to Bigby!"

Her sudden voice with a hint of frustration broke his reverie and gave Snow an apologetic smile."Sorry Snow, I spaced out I guess..." he said in a deep gruff voice while scratching the back of his neck. Snow just gave him an icy glare and walked past him, trailing to the Business Office.

Bigby can't help but to feel slightly abashed for not responding earlier. He was just taking his time to absorb the moment when he saw her, as if he had lost contact with her. Which is partially true. Snow was very busy lately after becoming the official Deputy Mayor of this town which made Bigby almost invincible. After making her promises in front of the community a few months back, she held to her words. She did a marvelous job. So as the sheriff. Its the fables who only needed to shift their paradigms and look to a new perspective.

Bigby let the clouds of smoke escape his lips and made his way to the old elevator and pushed the button. He tapped his feet impatiently as the lift took its own time to ascend. When it finally stopped at the designated floor, Bigby went inside and pressed for the ground level.

Out of nowhere, he suddenly thought of Snow.Maybe I should do something a little bit different. He thought. Hell, he spent his life doing the same routine every single day. The date is the only difference.

As the steel doors opened, he walked outside to only find Grimble still sleeping. Such a convenient job for a sleeping troll. He thought, rolling his eyes. Bigby wore his trench coat and went outside the residence.

Just as he expected, the weather tonight is merciless. One can almost have a frostbite. The bitterly cold wind stung Bigby's face. His body instantly went numb.I'm guessing, Mother Nature hates me that bad. He slightly chuckled with sarcasm. Going back to his train of thought, he ponder what to do for Snow White. Sure, he was always helping her in paperwork. But, he decided to take it to the next step, not too romantic but friendly. The reason behind it is to clear the air between them. She is abstruse; very difficult to read and understand. One day, she will be cordial and easy-going. The next day she will detach herself from everyone. Its like walking on eggshells. Being the audacious person he is, he made a conclusion after much consideration to test the waters.

-10.15 pm-

Snow's POV

Paperwork.More paperwork. Can there be anything much else worse than this?. Letting out an annoyed groan, I scanned the entire office and there is no one else but me. Well, this is what I've always dreamed of. Becoming the Deputy Mayor. But, this is just...an intolerable occupation.

Nevertheless, I care deeply from every single one of them which led to the point that I can barely take good care of myself. Why can't these fables just be contented on what they have?

I stood up and placed my fatigued hand to my forehead as if I'm having a migraine. I can't help but to feel dejected. To be purely honest, I can't recall being happy in my whole life. Everything was just falling downhill.

I'm just aggrieved from the aftermath. Of everything. They said that you will see the sunshine after the rain. I guess I'm just the unluckiest of them all. I have an ill-fated life. My eyes began to swell up with tears as I tried my hardest to keep it from bursting.

I buried my face with my hands when an unanticipated knock startled me.

"Business Office is closed" . My voice cracked. Who could possibly want to complain at this hour?

The door slightly swung open. The presence of Bigby entering is a bolt from the blue.

End of POV

"Hey Snow, I thought you might like some brewed coffee to perhaps... Snow...are you crying?" Bigby quickened his pace towards Snow and placed the coffees on her table. Bigby's face, now full of concern, tried to comfort Snow when she promptly moved away from his touch.

"I'm hunky dory Bigby, a dust just went in my eye that's all" as she let out a small laugh. She tucked a strand of hair at the back of her ear in hope to change the subject when the sheriff just stared at her.

"I think we both know that I'm good at catching people's lies" he said in a husky tone, still maintaining his composure without fail. Snow quickly altered to her dominant trait.

" So sheriff, how could you allege such a statement like that?" clearing her throat.

Bigby folded his arms and exhaled "Well, Miss Snow White, I'm lucky to have the ability to know how a person feels as a perk of being a wolf. Even so, you can only fool yourself, not me. There is no point of debating about this situation when you do not want to tell me. I'm just concerned about you as I am with everyone in this town when something troubles them which is firstly my job."

Snow White, now heating up in anger and defeat, gave him a fierce look. She eyed him in the eyes not breaking any eye contact.

"Firstly, I can take care of myself and it is not your business to intrude to my personal life. We can only talk about work, nothing more. We are just colleagues, not one of your friends and certainly, I am your boss and you will abide to every single one of my orders. Secondly, you are in no position to spend anything on me. Lastly, I didn't let you walk in the Business Office." She finished off the sentence, with gritted teeth. She eventually threw him under the bus.

Hearing those words made Bigby's blood run cold. The excruciating truth she just spoke to him was unbearable. With all his might, he stared at the wall to regain his self-control. After the absolute utter silence. He breathed deeply and looked back to Snow with her unreadable face.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I have updated the chapter very quickly because I will update the chapters a little late due to circumstances. As always, feel free to drop a comment and vote for this story if you enjoyed it because it will go a long way and every vote means so much to me. Have a nice day! :)