10

________

________

Running. I'm running in what looks like a forest, trees are all around me, large and sturdy. I feel as though I'm getting suffocated as they surround me, getting tighter and tighter and tighter until finally I see an opening out. Sunlight is illuminating the path and I seek it out, revealing another forest but this one is spacious with enough room for me to breathe. In front of me however, lays a deer, a spotted one. Random and out place.

Only it's back is shown to me as it lays and I try to approach it carefully but with each step I take, I see blood pouring out of the spotted deer. Blood. Tons and tons of blood coming out of the deer to no end. Tears fill my eyes as I run to the deer in desperation and then..

The trees are gone. Suddenly instead of a bloody deer, I'm met by an bloody corpse. On a kitchen floor— my kitchen floor. Blood. Puddles of blood is streaming down the kitchen floor as I approach once again, but this time with caution. As I get closer to the corpse, its skin and eyes are scarily familiar.

And then I come to the horrifying realization that the corpse isn't just a corpse.. it's my mother. My mother.

.

My screams fill the dormitory as I wake, horrified and confused by my mind and its antagonizing tricks. Panic fills my entire being, anxiety overloading me and fear striking me as if it was a knife.

I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe. I claw at my neck, searching for air and yet I get no response. My heart is running faster than I can handle and tears stream down my face unknowingly. I feel as though there is no escape from this madness until a voice consoles me and I feel as though I can breathe again.

"Alea? Fuck, are you okay? What happened?" Leighton Valak. He's here, at my bedside and holding my shoulders and asking me if I'm okay. I'm not sure if this is another part of the horrific dream but if it is, it's not at all scary.

I look at him dazed until I'm hit by the realization that my dreams are back. My horrendous, terrifying, god-awful dreams.

"Alea?" He says.

I ignore.

"Alea? Are you okay? Can you even hear me?"

I ignore.

I hear what he's saying but my mind cannot fully comprehend it. All my mind is capable of thinking about is the sight of my mother's deadpan face as the blood comes gushing out of her head.

His hands cup my face, his thumb brushing against my cheek ever so gently which causes me to finally process his presence and I lock my eyes with his. His beautiful grey eyes, and as I focus on that— my anxiety calms and the dreadful image fades.