The Sacrifice

She couldn't delay it any longer. They had arrived back from Japan and Bang PD was waiting for an answer. She needed to tell Yibo. Luckily they had a video date planned.

She all but melted when his face appeared on the screen. He was so handsome. How did she get so lucky?

"Hi, Babe."

"Hey."

"You've got something on your mind."

She smiled. He knew her so well.

"How did you know? Yes. I have some news."

"Bad news?"

"No, but not necessarily good either."

Seeing her hesitation, he smiled softly at her.

"What do you mean? Come on, you know you can tell me anything."

"Okay. I'll just say it. Bang PD offered me a contract as a solo artist."

"Wow! That's amazing! I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you!"

"But how is that not good news?"

"It would keep me away from you."

"What? No, you can't factor me into this decision. Besides, we can carry on as we have been doing."

"But you were so excited. When I told you that I could be moving back to China soon than expected you were excited and so was I."

"Of course I was, but that was because you had no reason to be in Korea. To honest things aren't great here."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I just meant in general. Actually I have some news as well."

"Really?"

"I was waiting for it to be confirmed, but I've been cast in two films. Main characters for both."

"Wow! I'm so proud of you! I know how much you've wanted to do some serious acting."

"Yeah, I'm really excited. But I was worrying that I would be really busy and you would be coming here just to never see me."

"You know I wouldn't mind. I'd still see you more than I do now."

"Still... What would you do here? You couldn't be an Idol. There's basically a ban on us. Over there you can have all that. Why would you give it up?"

"Because... You're worth it."

There were lots of other things that she could've said, or perhaps should've said, but in the moment, all she could think about was how she wished she was with Yibo.

His face went blank as he stared at her and slowly the lovesick smile on her face slipped away.

"I don't think you should move here."

"What?"

"I don't want you to give up your dream for me."

"That's not the only -"

"I don't want you to move to China."

Her heart dropped. As she stared at the one she loved, for the first time she couldn't decipher his expression.

"You - you don't mean that."

"I do. I - I like things how they are. Long distance works better for me."

"I - You - what?"

"Either we continue as we are, or... Or we end things."

"No... I - I can't believe this."

"You can think about it and let me know."

"Yibo, wait!"

But he had already ended the call.