The Rival

When Yoongi was called down to the foyer of the HYBE building for a visitor, he wasn't sure who he was expecting. However, he definitely wasn't expecting Wang Yibo. The rapper wasn't looking forward to this conversation.

"Yibo, what are you doing here?"

"I - is she here? I need to talk to her. Please."

Yoongi could feel how desperate the other Idol was through his tone and the look in his eyes. He almost felt bad for him, but then he remembered holding his best friend as she cried because of this guy and his resolve hardened.

"She's not here and even if she was, why would I let you see her."

"I made a mistake. I never should've said those things to her. I panicked and pushed her away, but I didn't mean it."

"I know."

"You know?"

"Knowing your reasoning doesn't make what you did any better. You hurt her. She loves you and you made her feel like you didn't feel the same."

"I couldn't let her ruin her life for me. She was going to give up her career to be with me. I love her too much to let that happen."

"Hmm."

"But I understand that it wasn't my decision to make. It's her life. Her choice. Please give me a chance to explain this to her."

"It's good that you understand that, but did you ever think that you were wrong? That she wasn't giving up anything to be with you?"

"But... She was going to say no to the solo contract. She was going to give up her dream."

"Was she? Dreams can change."

"She doesn't want a solo career?"

"No."

"Oh."

After giving Yibo a minute to process, Yoongi spoke up.

"Did you come all the way to Korea just to see her?"

"Yes. Can I -?"

"You should've called first. She's not here."

"Is she at home? Can I go there?"

"Yibo, she's not in Korea. She moved to China."

"What?"

"Despite what you said to her, she still turned down Bang PD's offer. She was asked to be a mentor on that show. The one where you two met. She left three days ago."

"Do... Do you know where she's staying?"

When Yoongi didn't answer, Yibo noticed the way his eyes were shifting.

"What's wrong?"

The rapper sighed.

"She's staying with a friend."

"A friend. But who...? Who does she know that well in China?"

"You know him too."

"Him?!"

"Something happened with the apartment she was supposed to rent, so he offered to let her have his spare room."

"Tao? You're talking about Huang Zitao?"

Yoongi just nodded in confirmation.

Yibo ran his hand through his hair, gripping the strands tightly as memories of seeing Zitao with the girl he loved flashed through his mind.

The two grew close on the show, off-camera. Just like Yibo and her had. Zitao had stepped aside for Yibo, but now that he had made a mess of things, he wondered if the older Idol will take this as his chance.

Yibo booked the first flight back to China.