Prologue

A tendril of purple mist in front of a wall of red flames. The mist forms into golden letters: "Saga". The letters shimmer, then blow away.

In a desert, a short peddler rides a Camerupt

Peddler:

Oh I come from a land,

from a faraway place

Where the caravan camels roam

Where it's flat and immense, / And the heat is intense

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home!

When the wind's from the east,

And the sun's from the west,

And the sand in the glass is right

Come on down, stop on by

Hop a carpet and fly

To another Arabian night!

Arabian nights

Like Arabian days

More often than not

Are hotter than hot

In a lot of good ways!

Arabian nights

'neath Arabian moons

A fool off his guard

could fall and fall hard

out there on the dunes.

In a nighttime street, the peddler slides off his camel and addresses us.

Camerupt panting.

Peddler: Ah, salaam, and good evening to you, worthy friend

Peddler: Ah, salaam, and good evening to you, worthy friend. Please, please, come closer. (Camera zooms in hitting peddler in face) Too close. A little too close. (Pulls his face just a little further from the camera) There. Welcome to Agrabah, city of mystery, of enchantment, (Opens the pouch on his camel which transforms into a bazaar stall) and the finest merchandise this side of the river Jordan, on sale today. Come on down. Heh, heh. Look at this. Yes. Combination hookah and coffee maker. Also makes julienne fries. Will not break. (taps it on table) will not... (it falls apart) It broke. Ohh! Look at this. (Pulls out Tupperware) I have never seen one of these intact before. This is the famous Dead Sea Tupperware. Listen. (Pries it open, makes raspberry sound.) Ah, still good. (Camera begins to pan to the right. The peddler hurries to catch it.) Wait, don't go! (Stop pan.) I can see that you're only interested in the exceptionally rare. I think, then, you would be most rewarded to consider this. (The peddler pulls the iconic magic lamp out from his sleeve.) Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts. (Another pan, this one slower to the left. Again, the peddler rushes to catch up.) This is no ordinary lamp! It once changed the course of a young man's life. A young man who, liked this lamp, was more than what he seemed. A diamond in the rough. Perhaps you would like to hear the tale? (The peddler pours shiny sand from the lamp into his hand.) It begins on a dark night... (The peddler throws sand into the sky, where it forms a starry nightscape.) where a dark man waits with a dark purpose.