Chapter 21 - Maximus

Warm, small, and energetically swinging is her hand in mine. Of course. And I let her swing mine if for no other reason than to console the longing feeling of being close to her in my chest.

Her hand is so utterly different from the chilly breeze of the dark and baleful night. I can see she feels unsure if she should open up or stay on the defensive. It hurts that she has to think about it. If she should protect herself from me. So I start. I look at her and I smile, real and open, "So, you know, I'm not actually going to take you to see a cat." I say, expecting her to question "If not there, then where?" But that is not something she does.

"Oh no." She replies, "You're taking me to murder me in the woods." She says dramatically with her hand over her heart. "I knew I never should have trusted you!" I laugh and reply,

"What woods?" I look around at the few palm trees scattered around my campus, because yes, we are here now. But not for long. I take her around to my dorm building only to veer away from its door and straight to my car. It's not too flashy of a thing. Not like Apollo's Cherry red Ferrari, which I'm shocked is still intact. No, this is a shiny black Bentley. Bought entirely with money I'd made from implementing the knowledge I'd spent my entire childhood obtaining. A few smart stock trades led to a few more.

"Where are you going Max?" En asks, looking at the dormitory's door.

"My car," I unlock the black metal with a double click of my key. I watch the features of my childhood friend change as she sees the car. A mix of shock, wonder, and yet knowing she shouldn't be shocked at all. I mean, the entire parking lot is filled with similar cars. To call some of them "cars" feels inadequate.

"Woah. Why?" She asks. I laugh again thinking about not taking the car.

"Well, beautiful, if you would like we can walk to my band mates apartment instead. Fair warning, it is ten miles away." I answer her in humor.

"I think I'll take the shiny car, smart ass." she replies before sliding over to the passengers side door, luckily for me, I'm faster. I put my hand on the handle before she gets the chance, unintentionally trapping her between my arms. I can't open the door with both of us standing in the way and she lets out a short breath before turning around to face me with crossed arms. "What do you think you're doing?" Her small hand touches my arm for emphasis, as if I'm holding the door closed, stopping her from entering.

"Hmm." I think about answering when I decide messing with her seems too fun. I put my other arm on the left side of her head, onto the cold metal of the car. Getting in close and caging her between my biceps I say, "I don't know, what are you doing?" with a small mischievous smile that I don't try to hide.

"Staring at a man who is trapping me between him and his car in the dead of night." She plainly states.

"You make me sound creepy." I mope.

"Oh don't pout," she laughs then surprises me by leaving a kiss on my lips, her hands on both sides of my face. My lips can't help but curve up, grinning like a cheeky bastard. Feeling fully and truly happy. Content. If I could, id say fuck the band and stay here forever. But unfortunately that would mean I would also die in this spot within a week. And the only headlines the band would ever make are ones declaring all the members criminal charges for killing the pianist.

"We have to go." I tell her.

"We could if you got out of the way." She replies.

"Mmm." I moan noncommittally. Nuzzling my face into her neck, wanting to move but only to get closer. "You're the one in the way." I meet her eyes.