I Can't (Edric)

(Part 2 to Don't Leave.)

(Word count- 2585)

TW: Self harm, talk of suicide.

(Emira's POV)

Emira sat at the dining table next to her twin brother. She had noticed Edric's shift in behavior, and it only worsened after Hunter's funeral a few days ago.

Emira had gone with him. She wanted to be there to comfort her brother... but, seeing the way he seemed so broken absolutely broke her heart. She could recall every detail Edric had that day. Ed had put in little to no effort on his appearance, telling Emira that Hunter had always liked how he naturally had curls in his hair, and how much Hunter loved his glasses, and how Hunter adored Edric's squishy cheeks, and so much more. Edric had broken down on the way back home, he had so much he wanted to say, but he had expressed to Emira that he just couldn't bring himself to speak these words.

Now, the twins were eating dinner on a Tuesday night. Amity sat across from them, while their mother sat at the end of the table, their father nowhere in sight. Alador was always busy in the basement, working.

Despite Edric not wanting to eat, Odalia had insisted that he sit at the table and not be allowed up until his plate was cleared. Emira hated that. Yes, Edric should be eating, but he shouldn't be forced to.

Emira cleared her throat and rose from her seat, taking her empty plate along with Edric's full plate of food. Her brother was zoned out, he wasn't going to eat.

Odalia narrowed her eyes, "Emira, put his plate back down."

Emira huffed and looked to Odalia, "Mom, Ed isn't going to eat. He just lost someone important to him, he'll eat when he feels well enough."

Odalia stood from her seat, "He will eat the food that was given to him. He needs to learn how to push events to the side in order to live in the present."

Emira rolled her eyes, walking to the kitchen and placing Edric's food in a Tupperware bowl. She took the bowl and put it into the fridge, then taking her empty plate and setting it into the sink. When she left the kitchen, she saw that Edric had left the table. She assumed that he had gone into his bedroom, like every other night.

Odalia, of course, demanded that Emira go up to her room. With that, Emira happily obliged. As she was passing by Edric's room, she could hear his muffled sobs. She slowly made her way over to Ed's door, which was decorated with smiley face and heart stickers. In the middle, there was a soft purple sign that was slightly tilted to right, which read "Edric Blight's room". She had to admit, the dorkiness of his decorating did fit his personality.

She placed her hand on the door handle, gently pushing it open just enough so that she could look into the room. She saw Edric sitting at his vanity, covering his mouth as tears were falling down his face in the mirror. She blinked, noticing the thick red liquid trailing down his arm that covered his mouth. She shoved the door open fully and went over to Ed, immediately taking his wrist and tracing a spell circle in the air. "Ed! I thought that you stopped doing this..." Emira murmured, gently wiping away the blood from his arm.

Edric just hummed in response, tears still slowly trailing down his cheeks.

Emira exhaled, locking eyes with Edric, "Ed, why did you do that..." She drawled, wanting to keep her voice soft.

Edric awkwardly shifted, breaking eye contact, his gaze now fixed on the reflection of himself. "I can't move on without him. He's gone because of me..." He whispered, his voice quivering under his breath.