FIFTEEN. THE PUNISHER

ELENA'S HEAD FELT like it was about to explode

ELENA'S HEAD FELT like it was about to explode. She was exhausted to say the least. Of course, she understood why she'd been kept out of the investigations of this new threat to Hell's Kitchen, she'd only been working there a few months. They needed to test the waters with her first. But for Samantha Reyes to expect her to catch up on all their files in one night? It was insanity. Elena had slept at her office, she couldn't drive home, even with the five vending machine coffees she'd downed.

It was all too much to take in, but Blake Tower had tried his best to explain things in a way that Elena could understand. So as she pulled up with her colleagues to the Fifteenth Precinct, she went through the information again in her head.

There was someone, not an army, not a group of people, one man going around Hell's Kitchen. It had been happening for a while now, and with every attack the man brought with him, no one survived. He appeared to be targeting crime groups and mobs, the latest hit on the Kitchen Irish just confirming this. But going into a hospital to finish his job? This was new, apparently.

Elena was still trying to wrap her head around it, so when Samantha Reyes had asked her to come along to the precinct, she had really wanted to say no. But apparently, somehow, Nelson and Murdock had gotten themselves involved in this. Elena felt like she shouldn't be able to believe it, but for some reason she really wasn't surprised. If she had to take a guess on which of the hundreds of lawyers in New York were involved, it would be them.

The car pulled up outside the precinct and Samantha Reyes left the car almost immediately. She was all business tonight, no time for messing about. Elena swallowed hard. She wanted to impress her, she wanted her to know that she was a good addition to the office and this was her opportunity. She bit her lip and undid her seatbelt. Blake caught her eye, a small smile crossing his lips.

"You alright?" he asked. Elena looked at him and nodded, although it wasn't all that convincing.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright," she murmured, "just... this is clearly a big thing. Right?"

Blake let out a dry chuckle and left the car, holding the door open for Elena. "Yeah. Definitely," he said. He seemed to be pretty at ease, but that might've just been due to the experience he'd had working in the DA's office. Although Elena had racked up a few months, she was still used to the defence attorney ways of Landman and Zack. It had been a slight culture shock at first.