THIRTY THREE. PIT OF DREAD

HOURS HAD PASSED since Matt's promise

HOURS HAD PASSED since Matt's promise. Elena's hands were no longer bleeding and the precinct was down by a few numbers. Sensei Wing, the nurse that Elena had recognised and Detective Misty Knight had all left. Along with Luke Cage, Jessica Jones... and Matt. Elena knew that she shouldn't be worried, and that Matt would be a-okay. But something inside her was just tugging. She wasn't sure what to think.

Elena hadn't really communicated with anyone within the precinct since Matt had left, although she had given a smug look over to Karen and Foggy. She knew as much as they did now, Matt had told her the truth. His secret. She was annoyed that he hadn't opened up about his knowledge about the Hand in the first place – especially since they were the organisation who had kidnapped her last year. But, despite this, she did understand. She understood why he wouldn't want to tell her. He'd made this clear when he knocked on her apartment door. He didn't want her to get hurt. In a way, it was admirable. Not the keeping secrets, of course. But it was the way that he'd come to her. That he'd thought of her. That she was not to be harmed.

Matt Murdock was most definitely a complicated man. And Elena realised that she was happy to unravel him. To see what was behind those walls he had put up in front of her. She just hoped that he wouldn't feel the same to her. Her own problems, her own issues... they would be kept behind vaulted doors. Never to come out to anyone. Ever.

Luckily for Elena, most people seemed to leave her alone in here too. To keep to herself with her vaulted doors and deep thoughts surrounding Matt Murdock. The cop who'd given her the hoodie had communicated with her once or twice, but her quiet and bland answers had kept him away since then. Foggy and Karen hadn't tried to speak to her, which Elena didn't mind. She didn't really feel like talking to them anyway, they didn't seem to be on good terms with Matt. It was still strange to Elena, the fact that it was her who was getting on with him out of the three. This would've seemed totally crazy a year ago.

Elena ran her hand through her hair, she'd returned to the main room now. A few others had retreated to the room with the evidence board in, but Elena had opted to stay put. She didn't really feel like looking at those pictures of the kidnapping again. Or the pictures of dead people and blood everywhere. Nope, too much for her right now.