12

The next week, I was back at my own apartment. My sister was home again and I'd returned to reality.

I missed living with Hanta, being catered to for whatever I needed. But one thing that changed when I returned to my every day life was how often he and I talked.

I called him as soon as I got off work, connecting to my car's bluetooth as we continued our conversation.

_______________

Current Call: Cookie Monster🍪💙

So you're free this weekend?

"Not exactly. The office is closed, yes, but I still have to arrange my evidence points, figure out what questions I can ask my client's witnesses to get the kind of answers we need to win the case, write my pitches for the jury, and a bunch of other stuff until I have everything perfect for the court date."

And you don't plan on taking even a lunch break for the whole weekend? And if you're doing that much, you probably won't eat breakfast or dinner either.

I chuckled, "I'm gonna eat, Hanta."

Did you eat today?

"Yes."

Whatever snacks you keep in your office at work don't count. I'm talking about a full meal, bebecita.

"Then, no."

It's almost six, Y/n. You gotta stop skipping meals.

I sighed, "I know, I know. I just wasn't expecting to come back to work and immediately be given four different cases at once. I didn't leave my office all day. I've just been going through each one and starting my preparations. I hadn't even realized I was hungry until you said something about it."

Go get some food before you go home.

"I will, papito. Relax."

No puedo cuando te saltas las comidas, cariño.
(I can't when you're skipping meals, baby.)

"Well, I'm going to three seventy-five right now, and I already placed my order online, so you can."

Please, tell me you got more than just loaded fries.

"I did, Han," I sighed.

Are you still meeting up with Zay?

"I think so. I haven't texted him yet, but I was just gonna tell him whenever I got home."

I don't wanna sound like I'm just trying to get you away from him, but be careful when he comes. He might be a close friend, but I don't want you getting hurt or taken advantage of. He's manipulative, he knows how to lie and make it believable. He can also cry on command, so I wouldn't trust his tears either. And he's dangerous, there's not much he wouldn't do to get his way.

Please, mami, I know you love him, but pay attention to the signs this time. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll say everything you wanna hear then try to take you to bed. And by the time he strips you, I can guarantee you won't be thinking about the conversation anymore.

"He said he just wants to talk."

And you believe that?

"No. I always let him come back because I soften my guard. I'm not letting that happen this time."

Saying that isn't enough. How are you gonna go about it?

"With evidence points and planned rebuttals, just like I would a case. All of his apologies are the same, I'm more than prepared for it."