chapter 6: danger

⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 ⋆

Lo'ak woke up early, looking over at the curled up girl beside him. He smiled, tucking a braid behind her ear. He stood up, walking out of the hut he fabricated yesterday and made his way over to a waterfall.

When suddenly, he heard his parents talk about something.

'I swear I saw her in the forest, ma Jake. She is here.' Neytiri told her mate, holding onto her bow.

Jake sighed, putting his hand on her shoulder. 'Please, Neytiri. We leave soon. Don't put yourself in danger.'

'But I want my people to be safe. I have to kill her.' Neytiri spoke, standing straight.

'Kill who?' Lo'ak had popped his head around the corner, walking into their hut.

The couple flung their heads around to see their youngest son stand before them.

'Nothing, son.' Jake tried to play it off as if they were talking about nothing important.

'Tell me.' Lo'ak demanded. He wanted to be taken seriously but his father never viewed him as serious.

'Ma Jake, maybe it is better if we tell him. It is safer.'

Jake sighed, looking down as his ears lowered before getting back to sharpening his knife. 'Fine.'

'Aungia, her name is Aungia. She is a murderer, killer of Na'vi. She kills her own kind, yawntutsyìp.' Neytiri put her hand on her son's shoulder. But then she looked back at Jake, indirectly talking to him. 'But my people are in danger, she's close. So I must kill her.'

'Neytiri, I am begging you. Do not attack.' Jake said pleadingly. He looked up at her, almost on his knees.

Neytiri bit her lip, sighing. She brushed her hand through her son's hair. 'It will be alright.'

Lo'ak nodded, seeing this as a sign to leave. And he did. He walked out, heading back to where he was going when he got stopped once again. 'Lo'ak.'

Lo'ak sighed, already recognizing the voice calling him. He turned around to face his older brother. 'Yes?' Neteyam rushed over to him, pulling him with him by his arm. 'Hey! What the hell are you doing?'

Once they got to a more secluded place, Neteyam pulled Lo'ak in front of him. 'I think the better question here is: what are you doing?' He whispered to him, looking around. 'Why is there a random girl here?'

Lo'ak gulped. How the hell did he find out? He thought she was pretty far away from the people, they could never find her. 'What?'

'Oh come on Lo'ak, I know it was you. I can tell by your twitching eyebrow.' He said, pointing to it. 'What the hell is wrong with you?'

Lo'ak sighed. 'Look— I can explain.'

'And you better! Let's go.' Neteyam said, grabbing his arm.

'Woah, where are you going?' Lo'ak pulled his arm out of Neteyam's grip.

'To mom and dad.'

'Are you insane? Of course you can't tell mom and dad! Besides,' Lo'ak sighed once again, lowering his voice. 'She's coming with us.'

Neteyam's eyes grew wide. 'What?' He yelled, a little too loud.

'Shut it!' Lo'ak looked around to see if anybody had heard them. 'Neteyam, I have to take her.'

'Why? You like her or something?' Neteyam laughed.

Lo'ak looked him dead in the eye, not responding to his uncalled for joke.

'You like her?' He yelled loudly again, making Lo'ak put his hand over his mouth.

'No I don't and could you please dial it down! I don't need the whole village finding out a random girl is sleeping here.'

Lo'ak actually didn't know if he liked Na'veya. I mean, she was gorgeous of course. But he felt like he didn't really know her enough to actually like her yet.

Neteyam laughed at his brother. 'Alright, that's it. You've finally lost it.' He shook his head. Walking backwards.

'Bro, don't tell anyone.' Lo'ak grabbed Neteyam's arm as he looked into his eyes.

Oh, this was serious. Neteyam sighed, scratching the back of his head. 'Fine.'

'Thanks, bro. I owe you.' He said, slapping his stomach lightly. 'I'm going back to her.' Lo'ak turned around and walked back to Na'veya.

What he didn't know, was that he had a stalker.

'Hey,' Lo'ak softly said, waking Na'veya up.

She opened her sleepy eyes as she rubbed them. She looked up at Lo'ak, smiling at him. But that smile disappeared once she found someone standing behind him. Na'veya stood up and wielded her knife as she stayed close to the ground and hissed at the boy.

'Woah, calm down. I come in peace.' Neteyam said, putting his hands up.

'Neteyam, seriously?' Lo'ak sighed, looking at his brother.

'What? I'm not allowed to be curious?' He rolled his eyes, looking back to the girl in front of him. 'I'm Neteyam. And you are?'

She was sceptic, narrowing her eyes at him. Could she trust him?

'It's okay, he's the annoying brother I told you about.' Lo'ak said, smirking at Neteyam. Neteyam looked quite offended.

She frowned, standing a bit straighter and putting her knife down. 'Na'veya.' She finally said.

'I like your name. Where are you from?' Neteyam said, smiling at her as he leaned onto the side of the hut's entrance.

Lo'ak rolled his eyes, shoving him away. 'Alright, that's enough of you.'

'I wasn't done!' Neteyam yelled as he got pushed out of the hut.

Lo'ak rubbed the top of his nose. 'I'm so sorry about him. He doesn't know when to shut up.'

'I heard that!'

Na'veya smiled, making Lo'ak smile too. 'Did you sleep well?'

She slept very well, she was so comfortable. Na'veya nodded, answering his question.

'Great! You must be hungry. Let me get you some food!' Lo'ak said, rushing out of the hut.

Na'veya yawned, stretching out while looking around a bit. She liked it here. The people seemed friendly. They seemed like a great community, Lo'ak and Neteyam's father being the leader. She figured Neteyam was older, he was wearing a cummerbund and Lo'ak wasn't. So Neteyam was going to become Olo'eyktan.

The people seemed to like them.

If only they knew she was here.