chapter 11: rescue team

⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 ⋆

Na'veya felt numb. Lo'ak found out in a way she would've never wanted. He didn't come and sleep next to her at night anymore. In fact, he didn't even show his face anymore. It had been days since she last saw him. She felt awful, not knowing her black heart could feel that way. Ever since Lo'ak stopped joining her in the leafy bed, she couldn't sleep well.

All of a sudden, a thudding noice made her sit up straight and look around. Was that Lo'ak? Na'veya made the calling sound that they used to communicate with each other to know Lo'ak was coming.

Nobody responded.

Na'veya frowned as she heard a ruffling sound come closer. This can't be good. She jumped up, climbing the closest tree she could find as she saw two Metkayina Na'vi look around. One of them looked down at Neteyam's creation and yelled at the other to come look. They both stared at it before looking at each other. They nodded, running back out of the jungle.

Shit.

જ⁀➴

Lo'ak sat down by the water, dangling his legs over the edge. His father told him to apologize to Aonung, even if it wasn't his doing. It was Aungia who did it, she should be punished.

Actually— no, she shouldn't.

He was so confused. He felt like he really knew her but now he doesn't anymore. Did he get to know Aungia or Na'veya. Who was who?

But he felt even weirder about the fact that he didn't hate her. He should hate her, she killed so many people. But he couldn't. Everything inside of him wanted to hate her but he couldn't bare it.

Suddenly the feeling of fast and heavy footsteps made Lo'ak turn around. He saw as Neteyam sprinted up to him, calling him. 'Bro! Bro!' He yelled as he came closer. Lo'ak stood up, frowning. 'They're looking for her in the jungle!' Lo'ak's eyes grew wide. Fuck.

'Well what the hell are we still doing here?' Lo'ak yelled as he slapped his brother's chest, running to the jungle with Neteyam following him.

All he could think of was "what if they found her?" He couldn't live with that. He couldn't live with himself if he couldn't even protect her the way she protected him the other day. Hell, she gave herself away just to insure Lo'ak's safety.

When she heard Lo'ak's call, Na'veya's ears shot up. She looked around, trying to get a glimpse of the boy as he came sprinting through the trees. He looked down at the destroyed leaf bed and instant panic arose. He was too late.

Neteyam caught up with him, panting as he put his hands to his knees. 'I've never seen you run that fast.'

'Shut up.' Lo'ak said, looking down to see if he could find any footprints telling him where they'd taken her.

Na'veya jumped out of the tree—right in front of them, making the two boys jump.

'Fuck. I thought they took you.' Lo'ak said as he held onto his heart. 'What do we do now?' He looked over at Neteyam, who usually had the answers. This time, he didn't.

Neteyam shrugged. 'I have no idea, bro.' They both knew she couldn't hide here anymore, they'd check every tree just to find her. And they will not rest before they do. 'I'll go look for a cave or something. I'll be right back, stay here.' Neteyam ran off, leaving Na'veya and Lo'ak alone.

It was silent for a bit.

Lo'ak looked at the girl. He wanted to help her. But he hated her for lying to him. After spending so much time with her, she didn't even tell him the truth. He hated that more than the fact that she was Aungia. She probably had her reasons, she seemed genuine. But she lied. She lied and he couldn't take that. 'Why did you lie?'

Na'veya's ears perked up as she looked at the boy in front of her. He couldn't look back at her just yet, still hurt because of her lies. 'I told you before, I wanted you to know me. Not Aungia, me. Na'veya. I did plan on telling you, I promise. Just not like this.'

'Why do you kill?' He asked, pretty calm at that.

She sighed. 'It's a pretty long story and—'

'I have time.' He firmly spoke, still not meeting eyes with her as he crossed his arms.

She sighed again. 'When I was younger my mother told me how I would serve justice one day. Those words were heavy, they kept lingering around in my head. Those words are the only words I vividly remember my mother saying to me. She's gone now, I have no idea where she is. She could be alive, she could be dead. It's a mystery to me. I don't kill because I like it. No, the metallic smell of blood makes me nauseous. I kill people because of the terrible things they've done. Traitors, Dreamwalkers, Sky People. I don't kill normal people, the people are scared for nothing.'

Lo'ak's eyebrows twitched. She explained everything. He didn't think she would, she never talked much. Especially not in full sentences. And here she was, the mighty Aungia, telling him her whole backstory. He exhaled sharply, finally able to look into her eyes. He didn't even seem to care about the fact that she is Aungia anymore now that he thinks of it. 'I am not afraid of you.'

'But why? I am death. If death doesn't scare you— then what does?' Na'veya's ears drooped, her eyes softening.

'My biggest fear is losing you.'

Na'veya's breathing picked up as her eyes slowly grew wider. What was he saying? She is the devil, he should run away. But he was here, steadily standing in front of her.

He knew what he was saying was a lot. I mean, she was viewed a killer. People all over the planet hate her, despise her. But Lo'ak didn't. Quite the opposite actually. He'd gotten to know Aungia on a different level and he liked her. A little more than he'd like to admit.

And he wasn't planning on running away anytime soon.