Roll 1 Scene 5 - A Little Conceited

October 31st, 2019

"Mr. Sage, how does it feel to be the first author ever to have not one but three signing events in the National Library? At the young age of 26 at that."

Nith smiled as he leaned back in his chair. "Awesome."

The group of reporters sitting in front of him laughed.

Lily stood away from the stage, the schedule of the event in her hand as she watched Nith maneuver through the hungry reporters.

The book signing event was supposed to be divided into two parts. The reading and the actual signing. But the number of reporters that turned up was more than what they had anticipated; making them add an additional two hours to the already lengthy affair.

What more questions could they possibly ask Nith about a book that was published almost ten years ago? Lily just didn't understand the craze behind it. But it got the bills paid, so she didn't mind.

Another reporter raised her hand before she stood up from her chair with her pen and notebook. "It has been eight years, yet Maybe Someday is still considered one of the bestselling novels of the decade. What's your thought regarding it?"

He nodded, rubbing his chin slightly. His right leg was on top of his left as he thought of his answer. "Of course, it's one of the best feelings in the world. To see something that you had written years ago still receiving love. As a writer, you can't really ask for any more than that, can you?"

"You were spotted at the Colored Entertainment's head office a few weeks ago. Can you tell us more about that?"

Nith smirked, shaking his head. "There will be an update regarding that soon from Colored Entertainment. Please be on the lookout for that."

Lily glanced at Nith from the papers in her hand. He was doing well. The three glasses of wine he drank before going up to the stage had worked their way through his nerves. She might even have mistaken the smile on his face by thinking he was enjoying it if she hadn't seen him shaking in his boots before the event started.

"If you could, would you change any part of the story?"

"No. No, I wouldn't."

Another stood up. Clearing their throat, they asked, "You have written more than 5 books apart from Maybe Someday. But none of them has the same vibe as Maybe Someday. Why is that?"

Lily sighed alongside Nith. This was the same question he would get asked every time he was in front of a mic.

"Have you ever been in love?" The reporter raised an eyebrow, but bobbed their head, smiling. Nith smiled back. "Then you will probably understand. For me, Maybe Someday is my first love. You will fall in love again and again, but it will never be like your first. Because when you fall in love for the first time, you don't expect anything in return. You don't know what you can get in return."

The room quietened as he talked. Lily crossed her hand over her chest listening; this wasn't the answer she prepped for Nith. But he rarely used the answers she wrote up for him.

"You just want to bask in their light and feel that feeling, you know? It's new, and it's exciting. It's different from everything you thought it would be." His lips pushed, head down. His copper locks hid his face from the cameras in front of him as he talked. Eyes focused on the clasped hands in his lap as he played with his fingers, continuing, "That's how Maybe Someday is to me. The 'vibe' that you mentioned, was my naivety toward the world, my feeling that was busting through me to my pages. It was my first love. It was special." Nith looked up, smiling shyly.