Roll 2 Scene 9- A Trouble Around Each Corner

December 19th, 2019

📰Weekly Spotlight's Breaking news: Catwoman Actress Kate Aurum posts pictures of herself with the cast enjoying the sun on a private beach in La-Luna.

December 19th, 2019

Nith checked the timer for the fifth time. His fingers danced over his arm, feet tapping along the tic of the clock.  

He took the cake tin out of the oven the moment the timer dinged, placing it on the cooling rack. "How does Nick do this so well?"

The cake was wet on the sides though rock solid in the middle. "Am I adding too much baking powder again? But Julie said 2 tablespoons." He chopped the cake in half. "Or was it 2 teaspoons? But 2 teaspoons is too little ..." Nith sighed.

"Let's try this one more time." He nodded to himself, hand moving his copper hair over his eyes. Nith readjusted the timer and temperature of the oven as he placed the diced carrot tray inside. "Fifteen minutes - " Nith turned around to see the mess he had made of the kitchen counter: the numerous bowls caked in cake batter, hundred different spoons for mixing. "How can Nick find this comforting?" he mumbled, taking the rag. "Let's clean up so that we dirty them up again!" 

The clock ticked behind him in a rhythm. As he worked around the kitchen he could picture his mother working in the same place years ago. Teaching Nick how to knead sourdough, helping him with his science homework in middle school, or braiding Lia's hair as she sat on the island.

Every corner of his childhood house reminded him of years, peoples, and relations that had been lost in time. Maybe that's why he's always reluctant to stay more than a day here.

"What are you making?" Lia walked into the kitchen. Nith glanced at her, red hair scrunched up on top of her head. She was still in her pajamas even though it was 11 in the morning. "The whole place smells like roasted carrots and ginger."

Nith went back to pureeing his roasted carrots.

"What are you making?" she asked again.

"Carrot cake."

"Why are you baking? You suck at baking." Nith clicked his tongue at her as if he didn't know that. "Nick is so much better at it." He brushed her words aside, rolling his eyes as she took a stool on the other side of the island. She watched as Nith mixed the pureed carrot with the cake batter. "You grate the carrots into the mix, not blend them."

"Mom made it like this once. So I'm trying it this way." He measured the baking powder, 2 teaspoons to the curve. "Please work," he prayed.

"Yeah, that's not gonna work. Mom's recipe didn't say anything like that."

"No one knows what her recipe says, Lia. You threw it out, remember?"

Lia pouted, turning away. "I was a baby."