Roll 4 Scene 18 - A Breaking Point

December 21st, 2019

What would happen if he told her how he felt?

What would happen if he could muster the courage to lean in and kiss her?

Would she say yes?

Would she kiss him back?

The thoughts swirled around his mind in a constant hum. Like a song that's stuck inside his head. His fingertips brushed past the skin on her waist in an attempt to hold her. It was intoxicating, the way he was getting tipsy on her slight touch. It infuriated him how something as simple as Kate having her hand on his chest made him overwhelmed, had him gin-soaked.

Nith gulped. And again, without his permission, his eyes dropped down to her red lips.

He had gone mad.

Nith slowly breathed in, trying to calm his stupid heart. The air around them smelled like her: lavender from her perfume and the citrus vanilla in her shampoo. It didn't help his situation at all. Kate bit the inside of her cheek, exposing the tiny dimple that was on her cheeks. And all he could think was to drown and stay.

He really had gone mad. Truly mad.

His heart thumped loudly in his chest as he tried to wrap his head around the absurd situation they were in. Nith knew for sure that Kate had heard it drumming inside him. When his eyes went back to her face he noticed how red her cheeks were.

Jay's words from earlier echoed in his mind. Maybe ... maybe this time Jay was right.

"I -" his words trembled as they were caught in his throat. "I have to" - he took another breath to calm his nerves - "tell you about something." Either he was making the biggest mistake in his life or ... he rather not think about that.

Kate's grip on his hood tightened. Her long lashes fluttered as she met his eyes. She nodded. The stare of her blue eyes into his green ones, unwavering. He could almost count the flakes of gold swimming in her ocean-blue iris.

Aurum ... She really was the epitome of the name.

"The thing is -" His eyes darted past her as his soft-lived courage started to run out. "There is something," Nith gulped. "I wanted to say for a long time..." He was stalling, he knew that. But the words just won't form.

What was he afraid of? Was he afraid of the expression she would make or the fact that he would be able to finally end this one-sided futile obsession of his? This longing deep inside his heart that he was used to? His wine, he needed it. He needed the alcohol to unlock his hidden dauntlessness. To finally tell her. "What I am trying to say is that ..."

She looked at him expectedly. "Yeah?"

"Kate, I l-"

The black cloth that acted as a door for the booth flapped open as someone pushed it to the side.

"Oh sorry!" the girl yelled. "We didn't knew it was occupied."

"Don't move," Nith whispered. Kate closed her eyes, her grip on Nith's hoodie tightened. She dipped her head, hiding their face from the view.

"We are so sorry!" The girl pulled the cloth back to its place in the same breath. The one behind her started to giggle. "They were kissing inside!" the girls squealed, their voices drowning the hum of the machine inside.

Nith laughed awkwardly. "I don't think they recognized us." His eyes looked all over the place instead of meeting hers.

The machine dinged.

Kate sprung up, untangling herself from him. Her cheeks drenched in red. "We should leave before someone does recognize us."

Nith nodded, pushing himself up.