27

The flight to Greece was short, mainly due to the fact that I slept during the entire thing. I was up all night running the wire transfers through a database and finding out who the accounts belonged to. But unfortunately for me, Nadia had a busy year.

"So why are we here for two days again?" I asked as I walked next to Liam. Like usual, we were dressed formally. My black gown covered my lower back, hiding the newly formed scars that now replaced the stitches.

"Because weddings take too long and are a waste of time." Liam said under his breath as he nodded towards a couple waving at him.

"I didn't know anyone even had a welcome party before a wedding." I said. Now that I think of it, I've never even been to a wedding before.

"The Drakos are... an extravagant family to say the least." Liam said as two men opened the doors to the venue.

The most of the room looked as if it was plated in gold. Massive white pillars lined the outer corners of the room, while in the center was a dance floor. Round tables adorned with white cloth sat towards the back of the room, leading to the massive garden and courtyard. Servers dressed in white gracefully weaved between dancing patrons, offering all kinds of drinks and appetizers. They were all wearing gold masks, decorated with feathers, jewels, and diamonds. The room was filled with laughing and dancing as music from a live band played from a small stage. The entire venue resembled more of a street fair than anything.

"Your masks." A man said as he held a tray up towards us. On them sat two masquerade masks, one white and one black. Like the servers masks, they were detailed beautifully with diamonds that shimmered underneath the lights. Liam grabbed the larger white one, while I put on the smaller black one.

"Enjoy your evening, Mr. Knight." The man said with a small bow before turning on his heel.

"A masquerade, how fun." I said with a small smile.

"I thought you hated these events." Liam said with an eyebrow raised.

"I do. But this one seems tolerable." I said as I grabbed a glass of whiskey from a nearby tray. Liam shook his head slightly before chuckling under his breath.

"Liam Knight!" A man yelled over the crowd. We turned over our shoulders to see a man in a tuxedo walking over towards us, his tie undone and hanging from his neck, his hair disheveled.

"Alexander." Liam said with a smile on his face as he hugged him. "Congratulations, my friend."

"Thank you, thank you." Alexander said, the alcohol on his breath filling the air. "It has always been my dream to get married." He said as he placed a heavy hand on Liams shoulder. After a moment the two men burst out laughing.

Alexander was a built and strong looking man. His blond hair was wavy, and reached his square jawline. His nose was slightly crooked, as if it had been broken a few times. He was a tall man, even taller than Liam and standing at about six

"Oh, I thought you got the memo, no bodyguards." Alexander said as he waved a drunken finger towards me.

"She's not a body guard, Alex, she's my date." Liam said as he placed his arm around my waist.

"Lucky you, you get to date... and be around beautiful women, an-and bring them to things." Alexander slurred.

"Well, it was a pleasure seeing you, but I must do stuff... like avoid my bride to be. So, please have fun, and make sure he relaxes for once in his damn life." Alexander said with a small, drunken bow before he scurried off into the crowd.

"Wow, his fiancé is so lucky." I said sarcastically as I watched him bump into a server, spilling the drinks all over the floor. Alexander raised his hands up, cheering at the glass breaking before stumbling into a group of women, make Liam chuckle under his breath.