Not Safe

If there was one thing Sapphira could resist, it was the smell of Bartholomew. His apprentice was a different story. She had to constantly remind herself that Adrian was Bartholomew's apprentice and that within the walls of the Undertaker's shop, he was safe. Within these walls, she was safe as well.
Sapphira drank some of her bloodied tea, watching as Bartholomew had Adrian repair a cabinet. Being an Undertaker was apparently more than just funerals and making caskets. Adrian was skilled, Sapphira noticed. She decided to turn her attention to the outside scenery.
Snow had blanketed the ground, stained with streaks of gray because of the soot. Bartholomew and Adrian were discussing something. Sapphira focused on their conversation.
"It is nearly Christmas. My family is expecting me," Adrian told Bartholomew.
"I am aware of that, but you know that beyond these walls you aren't safe," Bartholomew said.
"I don't think Vampires are going to attack me while I'm heading home to celebrate Christmas," Adrian countered.
"Be careful. There's a reason we have a Vampire hidden here right now," Bartholomew sighed after a long silence. Adrian thanked Bartholomew and then was dismissed. Adrian bundled up against the cold, wished Bartholomew and myself a "Merry Christmas" and then left.
"You are letting him go?" I asked Bartholomew as he sank down in a chair with a groan of pain.
"I can't deny him everything," Bartholomew sighed, rubbing his knees. "He has a life outside these walls after all," Bartholomew commented, taking a sip of Scotch.
"Should I watch him for you?" I inquired. Bartholomew looked at me with disbelief. "It is the least I can do since you are granting me sanctuary," I stated.
"You aren't safe outside these walls either," Bartholomew reminded me with a grunt.
"I am safer than Adrian," I pointed out. Bartholomew gave another grunt, became thoughtful and then gave one nod. I finished my tea, got dressed for the weather and left the Undertaker's shop, following Adrian's scent.
I paused when I smelled that blood had been spilled. I cautiously walked into the lamplight of the deserted area. Night had fallen by now and Vampires were always more active.
There was a crumpled figure on the snowy ground. They were wearing black and they weren't moving. Small clouds of breath barely appeared around their still form. I recognized the scent. It was Adrian.
I had to reign in my nearly undeniable urge to sink my fangs into his throat when I reached him. Somehow, he was still conscious. His storm gray eyes barely managed to focus on me. Someone had hit him in the head with something blunt. My guess was a shovel. My Thirst flared at the sight of his blood staining the snow around him and flowing from his horrific wound. He recognized that and I could tell he was trying to move. He only managed to move an arm slightly before consciousness flickered from him and quickly returned. I managed to squash my Thirst and looked around.
His scent was bound to bring more Vampires along. I needed to move him without killing him or draining him dry to some form of safety. Already I had the dreaded feeling that I was going to hurry or a pair of gleaming eyes would soon greet me. I carefully moved him, holding his head close to me as I headed to where I hoped safety was.
I was being followed. Their presence was concealed, but it was there. They weren't the only ones following me either. Adrian was proving to be more troublesome than beneficial. I couldn't let Adrian die though. Bartholomew had never taken on an apprentice before and he was nearing the end of his long life. I found a small building and quickly darted into it. I put Adrian down and locked the door just in time.
Adrian had lost consciousness and hadn't regained it. I had to act fast. We weren't safe here. The Vampires outside were overwhelmed by Adrian's scent and were trying with desperation to get in. It wouldn't take long. I looked at Adrian's unconscious form and considered opening the door. I was about to do this when Adrian regained consciousness.
His eyes focused on me with a silent plea for help. I lowered my hand from the doorknob and walked over to him. I knelt down beside him, hearing the door groan on its hinges. He barely managed to tilt his head back to reveal the white column of his throat. I picked him up and knew what his silent request was.
I sank my fangs into his neck just as the door broke. I was ripped away and had to fight the other Vampires away from Adrian. There were so many. By the time I had finished killing the last one, Adrian had been bitten and torn into far beyond saving. The venom, I could only assume we had venom was forcing him to remain conscious as blood poured from his shredded throat.
Blood was glistening against the black of his shirt and I saw the bones of his wrists. I knelt down beside him, watching the agony morph into absolute terror. He didn't want to die. I could tell. I gently picked him up again, bringing him into a sitting position. Bubbles formed in the blood from his mouth as very small amounts of air managed to get into his lungs.
I drank what blood remained, making sure to not end his life. I tore my wrist wide open, placing it against his throat first. Slowly, oh so slowly, his throat began to heal. I gave my blood more time to heal Adrian's throat before placing my bleeding wrist against his mouth.
He regained consciousness and drank. I whispered praise, stroking his blood drenched brown hair. His confused whimper alerted me that the Change had begun. I forced a few more mouthfuls of blood down his throat, whispering soothing words before removing my wrist from his mouth.
Adrian fought the sleep at first. I calmed him before he gave in. I looked at the bodies around me as I picked Adrian up. I was going to make sure that I would be by his side, even if he didn't survive the Change. If he did manage to survive though, I would be there to teach him.
I carried Adrian from the body filled house and knew that we couldn't return to the Undertaker's shop. Once again, I would have to run. I felt eyes watching me from the roof and continued on my way, glancing briefly over my shoulder to see Allison staring at me. She had a triumphant smirk and I realized that this was the result of her plan.
I paused and returned her gaze with one of my own. She only chuckled and then left, leaving me alone. I glanced around to make sure of this before heading away again. I couldn't help but wonder why Allison, one of my enemies had left without a fight. There had to be a reason.
If I knew the reason, would I be safer? Or would I be hunted by more than just the enemies I currently had?