Realization

Sapphira despised that she was tending to her enemy's fledgling. He had recovered from his feverish state and she had caged him, literally. He was watching her silently from the bars of his cell, ignoring her as she watched him after an attempt to gain some kind of information. She sighed with irritation and walked towards his cell.
"My enemy, your sire, I would like his location," Sapphira repeated. Priest only watched her in silence. "I know you know where he is. Why not let me know? I highly doubt I'll be able to do anything to permanently harm him," Sapphira commented with a reassuring smile. Priest stood up and studied Sapphira. "What sort of weapons do I have to hurt him anyway?" Sapphira questioned. Priest reacted in a way Sapphira didn't expect him to.
He lunged at the bars with a loud snarl, his fangs exposed as his hands wrapped around the bars of his cell. His snarl became a low, animalistic growl as he glared at Sapphira with fury. Sapphira took a step back as she studied Priest with concealed shock.
"Priest, I'll let you live if you just tell me where your sire is," Sapphira said calmly.
"You'll let me live," Priest spat. His laugh was harsh, filled with anger. "You did this," Priest growled.
"I'm afraid I don't understand," Sapphira commented, keeping her voice calm.
"I never wanted to be this!" Priest shouted, his rage at the knowledge he was a Vampire because of Sapphira boiling over. Sapphira tilted her head to one side with confusion.
"I don't understand," Sapphira reluctantly said. Priest's reaction caught her by surprise again. His hate filled snarl sounded through the silence like a thunderclap.
"You're the reason he changed me into a Vampire! You! Because you were attached to me and he knew what would happen if he changed me," Priest hissed. "What did you do to make him so angry? What did you do to make him change me into a Vampire?!" Priest exclaimed with pure rage.
"Priest, I never for you to be changed. I looked for you so you could still live your life as a human. I just found you when it was too late. You were already almost done changing. I'm sorry," Sapphira whispered.
"You didn't answer my question," Priest growled.
"I drank his blood when he was starving and unwilling. For any Vampire, that's a declaration of war," Sapphira breathed, feeling guilty for the first time since this had begun. "I thought because you had been warned and given a description that you would be safe," Sapphira said.
"You nearly killed me when I asked for a way to defend myself. How is that safe Sapphira?" Priest spat.
"I'm sorry," Sapphira managed to say over the unwanted growing lump in her throat.
"Are you?" Priest countered. Sapphira cautiously placed her hands on the bars of Priest's cell. Priest hissed and stepped back from her, glaring at her with undisguised rage. He gave a soft growl and turned his attention away from her.
"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned," Sapphira whispered, surprised she could even manage that. Priest was silent, staring at Sapphira and gave a soft, barely audible sigh of resignation. He remained silent though as he reluctantly approached her.
"I wasn't thinking and declared war on someone who was in no condition to fight against me. As a result of my actions, a good man became something he never wanted to become. Many people are dead as well and I have no one to blame but myself," Sapphira confessed, feeling actual tears gather in her eyes.
"So you realize now the error of your ways?" Priest sighed. Sapphira only managed a nod of confirmation. Priest was silent as he looked at his cell. "It would be nice confirmation if you let me out of this cell," he commented. Sapphira choked back a sob as more guilt rose to the surface.
"I can't. I'm sorry," Sapphira barely managed to say.
Priest was stunned as he stared at Sapphira.
"You... You started this ridiculous war," Priest whispered.
"I know," Sapphira breathed.
"Then why...?" Priest began.
"I'm sorry," Sapphira said as she took a few steps back, keeping her gaze on the floor. She began to head back upstairs, somehow managing to ignore Priest. Until he called her name. His voice, which had been filled with rage and hate was now pleading. Sapphira hesitated for a second, not daring to look over her shoulder.
"Please, Sapphira," Priest said. Sapphira didn't know why she looked at Priest. But she did and instantly regretted it. She never had understood why humans would cover their grief and despair with rage and hate until now. Humans were strangely like Vampires in that aspect. They didn't want to feel vulnerable. The small flicker of hope she saw in Priest's eyes made her feel even worse than she already did.
"Please, I'm sorry. I don't know why I reacted the way I did. It was uncalled for. Please, I won't cause any trouble for you. I just want to be free. Maybe this war can be over with?" Priest questioned with a small glimmer of hope when Sapphira continued to silently stare at him.
Priest watched Sapphira and then felt the glimmer of hope vanish as she turned her attention away from him and continued to walk up the stairs. "No," Priest breathed, despair settling in.
Sapphira was glad she had reached the top of the stairs when Priest's scream of despair rang through the air. Her tears flowed freely as she slowly sank to the floor, guilt and shame gnawing at her stomach as Priest's screams fell silent.