A Race in a yellow field

Sonic as Shadow has come to learn as he listens to the blue hedgehog talk non stop as they tour outside the kingdom gaining some glance and whispers as they walk together. Shadow didn't really get a chance to take in town when he got married and even after he settled in he didn't have a real reason to go out since servants were the ones to go into town for anything. Now he has a chance to see it was quite a busy town with various businesses that have an inviting air. Yet even as the street bust with energy Shadow can pick out many that are battle worn and their states were more heated with hate and a haunting look as if trapped in a nightmare. 

Shadow feels perplexed at this as they cross towards the end of the village Shadows' thoughts went towards his own people and how they too are battle torn and didn't change even at Doom's kingdom. Here he can see others helping those injured while those who aren't blessed with fast healing were left behind to die or worse to be sent to the labs where the scientist will find a use for them. He saw it many times when he was in the lab and it made it hard to sleep some nights. He wanted to change that for his people to become the ultimate weapon that his people needed. Unfortunately it seems he wasn't gonna have that chance to prove that since his father sought that he was better as some bed warmer to the echidna prince. Seeing these faces have him thinking about his people and how they are still suffering. Shadow quickly focused back towards the blue hedgehog as they now found themselves in a field of sunflowers.

"You seemed so lost in thought that you didn't notice we came here. Was my babbling really that boring?" The blue hedgehog teased as he gave a cheeky grin. I raised an eyebrow as I looked around the wide area that seemed to brighten the field. "Why bring me all the way here? I doubt this is just a simple tour so ask what you want already." The wind blew across the field ruffling their quills and cloaks one red with gold linen the other plain blue. The blue hedgehog chuckled before stepping closer to the striped hybrid. "You sure go straight to the point huh? Well since you insist how about you and me have a friendly competition. That sparring match you had with Knuckles the other day was quite interesting and I have to wonder if you run as well as you fight." 

The cobalt hedgehog took his cape off and let the wind take into the air as he stared at the ebony hedgehog with an intimidating gaze of a warrior. His eyes a dark green as waits for the hybrid to make his move. Shadow like with Knuckles didn't falter and met the gaze of the hedgehog's head on as he took off his own cloak, the wind also carrying it off as both hybrid and hedgehog took a runner's stance as both looked ahead. Sonic glanced at the striped hybrid and smirked "There's a house on the other side of this field near a lake so whoever reaches it first gets their questions answered." Shadow didn't say anything but focus ahead as a gentle breeze blew. A low "Now." Was spoken and off went streaks of blue and red as they raced off in the field.

Shadow was actually surprised to see that this hedgehog was fast as he jumped, dashed and looped every obstacle that he came across. Sonic was pretty impressed by this faker as he did similar things with practice, having done this a thousand times before. He managed to catch a quick glimpse of ruby eyes watching him in what he can describe as amusement before they widen. If Sonic was paying attention he may have noticed a root that sprung up from the ground that would inevitably trip him. Now Sonic does have his moments where Knuckles have constantly told him that his lack of focus will be the end of him one day. 'If I live through this I should tell Knuckles he was right.' He braces for his face to become one with dirt only to feel strong furry arms wrapped around him as they begin to tumble and roll in the field as bits of grass and sunflowers get caught in their quills. Daze from all that Sonic groans as he vaguely noticed that he was on top of something soft. He blinked as he found himself on top of Shadow who had his eyes closed as he groaned from the sudden tumble they took. Grass and sunflowers were tangled in his quill's which brought a chuckle from the blue hedgehog. He got up and held his hand towards the striped hybrid to help him up. Shadow blinked and grabbed his hand accepting the offer as he was pulled up to his feet. 

A few minutes passed as Shadow got the grass and flowers out of quills, Sonic standing by as he watched. "Thanks for the save back there but you didn't need to get dirty for my sake, your highness." He said as he plucked a sunflower from Shadows quills as he held it out to the ebony hybrid. Shadow ignored the flower as he spoke. "Doesn't matter sir Sonic but next time I'll let you fall since a trained fighter like you should be more observant of his surroundings." He deadpans at the cobalt hedgehog. Sonic coughs in embarrassment as he mentally agrees. "Well you're highness, how about we call this a draw for now and head back to the castle before it gets too late." He holds out arm for Shadow to take. Shadow paused for a bit confused at the sudden gesture. "You don't need to-" the striped hedgehog started but was interrupted as a blue arm intertwined with his own. "I insist since you did save me." He gave a wink and they headed back towards the castle with Sonic talking and Shadow listening. 

Night had already fallen as they made it to the castle grounds entering through the garden. Shadow can see a familiar pink hedgehog talking to a bunny woman who was also dressed in maid attire but more high class. Shadow hadn't seen her before but recalls a few times Amy would talk about the head maid being kind and would mother many of the servants under her care. He notices Sonic stopping and turns towards the warrior as the blue hedgehog gives a small bow. "Looks like this where I must take my leave till next time you're highness." With a sudden gust of wind the blue warrior left. Making his way to Amy the pink hedgehog finally noticed Shadow and waves  saying a quick goodbye to the bunny and ran towards him. "Shadow! How was your trip in town?" She was in front of him now and he told her about today's event including Sonic's little trip and their little roll in the field. She laughed but then stopped as she noticed something on his head. "Oh you must've missed one." She gently pulls out a sunflower and hands it to Shadow. Taking a gentle hold Shadow stares at the flower as he recalls that he couldn't have missed any yet his mind went straight to a certain blue hedgehog and for a brief moment he smiled as he held the flower close as he and Amy walked in the castle as he listens as Amy tells him about her day and the books she recently read.