Chapter 33: Ride Of Your Life

Why the fuck was I nervous?

We'd been together for months, been friends for years. She was one of my best friends — one of the kindest people I knew.

So why the fuck was my heart pounding against my chest right now? I was only going to show the girl of my dreams where I grew up. No biggie.

I drove past the gates, nodding at the security guard. It was the only gated community in the whole of Mount Valley. We reached an intersection and I almost maneuvered the truck to go to the direction of Oz's house. I knew he was back in town. Everybody was. But priorities first. We needed to get settled at home first.

I turned to our driveway and drove to the garage. I was relieved to see nobody was home. No one ever was. I called our caretaker to stock up on the supplies so we had food and other necessities.

"Wow," Arisa breathed out, getting off the truck and looking up at the house.

I laughed. "Don't give me that shit when I know you have a palace in the Philippines."

"It's not a palace!" she defended, punching my arm playfully. "It's also not mine, it belongs to my grandparents."

I put up my hands. "Okay, princess."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, but she was smiling all the same.

I picked up our bags from the back and motioned for her to follow me inside. To be honest, this house was practically mine already. And despite the lack of loving memories, I wouldn't sell it for the world.

"Did you have parties here?"

"Yeah." Good times. "Remember Connie?"

She nodded.

"Oz and I traded hosting duties every year for her birthday, since things weren't the great at home for her at the time."

She smiled at me. "That's really sweet."

I shrugged, giving her a smug grin. "I have my moments."

She chuckled. "You do."

"Come on, I'll show you where you're staying."

I lead her to one of the guest bedrooms. She looked a little confused, and it took all of me not to break face at that moment.

"I'm staying here?"

"Yup."

"Alone?"

Don't laugh. Don't laugh. Don't laugh.

"Yeah." I nodded. "Is there a problem?"

"Nothing," she said, looking around the room. "I just figured since you were clingy as heck, you'd need your nighttime cuddles. But I guess not—"

I grabbed her by the waist and pinned her by the doorway. "I want my cuddles."

The prettiest smile appeared on her face. It was enough to put me on my knees.

"I was kidding. No way you're sleeping here."

"Then, where will I sleep?"

"With me." I leaned closer and softly whispered in her ear, "In my room."

*****

Showered and dressed, we headed to the diner to meet the crew. The moment we entered inside, there were loud cheers from one table.

Everybody turned our way. Some familiar faces nodded to me. I received a delighted gasp from Wendy before she attacked me with a hug.

"Welcome home, dear," she said.