Chapter 13: Howlin' For You (present)

PRESENT

Arisa saved my life.

When I was falling apart last year, she made me look at life from another angle. She made me see the bigger picture. I learned to value myself and really move on, not just for the sake of it.

Instead of letting myself drown, I learned how to swim.

"Happy Halloween!"

I looked up from my phone and watched different fictional characters roam the streets. Sending Byron a quick text that I was here, I chucked my phone in my pocket and pushed the door open to Crown Oak.

It was packed as hell.

Most of the people inside were dressed up in costumes. But there were those like me who didn't bother with one. My excuse? I simply didn't have the time.

I took off my black Canada Goose parka and rolled up the sleeves of my crew neck sweater, my eyes scanning the room for any familiar faces. I spotted Yash at the bar ordering, and so I went to him.

"Yo, Yash!"

He turned around and nodded to me. He looked like a cross between bored and tired. But then again, he always did.

We hadn't really seen each other since the new school year started, that was how busy we all had been. I'd only ever seen Byron, and that was because aside from being roommates, we had the same classes.

"Back from the dead?" I teased, raising a hand to the bartender. "'Sup, Zed? Rum and coke for me, thanks."

"You got it," he replied, and went off to make my drink.

"I still feel dead," Yash muttered.

I stared at him. "Yeah, you look like a zombie."

"If only I could eat brains."

"I heard you met a girl this summer, though."

He shook his head. "Match made by the parents."

"How'd it go?"

He only gave me a dark look.

"Pretty bad?" I chuckled. "Guess she doesn't like dead people."

"Nor living ones."

I grinned. "Hey, you have something in common."

He flipped me the bird, making me laugh.

"So did you get out of it?"

"I told them I'll get married once I become a surgeon. They agreed to it." He let out a low laugh. "I don't think they know how long that'll take."

"At least, you bought yourself some time."

"Yeah, maybe." He sighed, and looked at me. "The circle's at our usual table."

"Why aren't you there?"

"I don't respond well to strangers."

"Oh, come on. Noah's not a stranger."

Byron's boyfriend already hung out with us a few times. He attended Boston University so he rarely came over to the apartment. How did they meet? Let's just leave it to the good ol' dating app.

"I'm not talking about Noah," he said.

My forehead creased. Could it—Nah, it couldn't be.

"Gwen has a date?" I laughed. "Wow, good for her. Is he a wizard?" My drink arrived and I handed Zed a twenty. "Keep the change, man."