PROLOGUE- CRIS

THE FEELING of sweat dripping down my body and dampening my clothes, making them a bit heavier and the cold breeze drying them off as if it were never there, only the lingering smell of sweat reminding me that I'm running, is always something that happens when I run through my usual route, my house only two miles from where I'm now hunched trying to catch my breath.

I wipe my forehead and turn around, taking a sip from my now dented, red metal water bottle after only just days of use.

I begin to run back towards the house as an image crosses my mind; I smile. "I can't wait to see him this morning."

As I run back, I spot a coffee shop; his favorite coffee shop, opposite the street I'm on, I look both ways before crossing to get there. "Café du Monde." I enter the elegant coffee shop, the little bell ringing at the top of the door, signaling someone just walked in.

"What would you like to have mademoiselle?" The female barista asks with a plastered smile, I return it.

"One caffé americano." She jots down my order and looks up.

"Name?"

I flash the barista a sweet smile. "Victorien." She looks at me oddly but nods and jots it down, nonetheless.

"Your order will be out in ten minutes." I nod and go to sit by a window, rubbing my hands together to fend off the cold, I look forward to the sit in front of me and smile as I begin to reminisce on when I met him here, a few weeks ago.

"Why do you run?" He asked eyeing me up and down, a grin etched on his face.

"You don't look like you need it, Aimer."

"Victorien." I'm drawn out of my thoughts when I hear the barista call for the name, I gave her.

I walk up to the counter and take the coffee and pay.

"Your name is very unique mademoiselle.'' The barista says with a finally genuine smile, her eyes fleeting to something on my body, I follow her gaze and see her staring at my arm which was now uncovered after running, I yank my sleeve down as fast as I can as she looks back up at me strangely.

I give her a small smile and thank her and make my way out of the coffee shop.

I let out a weighty sigh and continue to jog home. I unlock my door and take off my shoes as I step into the house, I walk into the kitchen, placing the coffee in the microwave and all my belongings on the counter.

I climb up to my loft where my bathroom is to take a shower.

"Mmm." I hear a hum and smile and step out of the bathroom now freshened and fully dressed, I walk down the stairs towards where the noise came from, peeking from the corner.

"Is that you, Aimer?" I ask dragging the pet name he once called me, the smile dropping from my face as I spot him, head bloodied, mouth covered with a cloth and struggling against the ropes in the dimly lit room, I fold my arms as I watch sweat trickle down his forehead, tears falling from his eyes and his pupil dilate as he takes in my presence.

"Struggling won't help you Victorien," I say dropping my chirpy attitude.

I walk out and go into the kitchen, picking up my metal water bottle and his coffee.